JSpartan

I got this fossil in a trade, I really don't know much about the value of Ginkgo leafs, more of a hobbyist, and I was hoping someone could give me an idea what would be a fair appraisal. thanks in advance!

post-13663-0-37118800-1416494461_thumb.jpg

To get a general idea of what stuff is selling for I always look at eBay. If you search "fossil ginkgo leaf," you will get results. However, while I think that a good practice in general; I just did it and found results i did not expect. Two nice examples showed up. However, I would be astounded, if they actually sold for the asking price! So in this case I don't know how much help that is. Perhaps a plant person with more knowledge will comment on the offered pieces.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Appraisals are tricky enough with the item in hand, no less viewing sub-par photographs on a computer screen.

This is why the forums rules state we do not do appraisals.

That being said, and having seen the Ebay examples of which Snolly speaks, I can confidently say that seller is asking WAY too much.

I think a price in the (low) tens of dollars, rather than hundreds of dollars, is more realistic.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

My apologies, that would be my bad, I should have read before posting, but your comments are still greatly appreciated, thank you

That is a nice piece. Very similar to what I find here in the horseshoe canyon formation. As for the ebay listings, wow, the one is ridiculously priced!

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com