Cretaceous Shark Tooth For Id Please.

Ancient Bones

We are getting pictures ready for my gallery and we are not sure of the species to label this one. Help would be appreciated.

post-14993-0-16757800-1416616823_thumb.jpg

' Keep calm and carry on fossiling '

I'm no good with shark teeth but while you wait for the shark teeth experts to get here you could try to ID it by yourself by searching the "Carlile shale, South Dakota shark teeth" and see what it most closely resembles.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

Although there are several genus possibilities, based upon the size and smooth crown faces I would say Carcharias sp. possibly amonensis. But I would wait to hear from folks who collect a lot in the Cretaceous of SD, Kansas, Texas etc.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

I'm no good with shark teeth but while you wait for the shark teeth experts to get here you could try to ID it by yourself by searching the "Carlile shale, South Dakota shark teeth" and see what it most closely resembles.

Thanks for looking. I did look at Oceans of Kansas but I'm not sure which one it is.

Although there are several genus possibilities, based upon the size and smooth crown faces I would say Carcharias sp. possibly amonensis. But I would wait to hear from folks who collect a lot in the Cretaceous of SD, Kansas, Texas etc.

Marco Sr.

. Thank you for looking at this one Marco Sr. I'm still hoping to hear from the Cretaceous shark tooth collectors.

. Thank you for looking at this one Marco Sr. I'm still hoping to hear from the Cretaceous shark tooth collectors.

The lack of a nutrient grove on your tooth causes me some doubt in the Carcharias id. Other features cause me more doubt with other genus that I think are possibilities. The Cretaceous shark tooth collectors are your best bet.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

The lack of a nutrient grove on your tooth causes me some doubt in the Carcharias id. Other features cause me more doubt with other genus that I think are possibilities. The Cretaceous shark tooth collectors are your best bet.

Marco Sr.

Marco Sr.,

That is the problem that we had with trying to ID this tooth ourselves. It looks similar to several images we compared it to, but not close enough for us to be sure. It would be nice to correctly label this image for Ancient Bones' gallery, and we hope that someone here who collects Cretaceous shark teeth will help us out.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this Marco Sr.. :)

Julianna

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

Julianna,

I've been looking at this tooth for days and still can't say what it is for sure. It doesn't really fit with anything I've seen from the Carlile. I was tempted to cheat and say it could be something exotic without tossing out a possibility but wonder if it is just a variation of a rarely-seen jaw position of something familiar. If pressed for one answer, I would go with Cretalamna intermediate if it has that position. Welton and Farish (1993) offered a dentition with one intermediate file but I agree with Siverson (1996) that the proposed intermediate tooth looks more like a parasymphyseal. The root has the look similar to one of Otodus. Your tooth doesn't appear to be a parasymphyseal. If Cretalamna had an intermediate position, I think it would look like that and the size would be about right.

The other thing I considered is that it is an anterior tooth of a juvenile Cretalamna.

I'm going with Cretalamna because it doesn't have a nutrient groove nor labial folds eliminating some some other Turonian possibilities. The lateral cusplets don't look right for Cretalamna, though. It doesn't match up to any Cretoxyrhina position. I have trouble getting a strong idea of what Pseudoisurus and Dwardius are so I won't just throw them out as possibilities. The tooth would seem to be too small for either of them in any case.

Maybe some Texas (Eagle Ford) collectors have seen something like this.

Jess

We are getting pictures ready for my gallery and we are not sure of the species to label this one. Help would be appreciated.
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Upper anterior, juvenile Cardabiodon venator.

Thank you very much, Mikael! :) I have saved your PDF for future reference.

Edited by old bones

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I am not the greatest at identifying shark teeth, but your specimen looks a lot like the Cretodus teeth that can be found in my local Carlile outcrops. Possibly crassidens or semiplicatus.

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Yikes! I have a lot to learn. :)

Cardabiodon venator

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Cretodus would have folds at the base of the labial face and lingual faces.

I am not the greatest at identifying shark teeth, but your specimen looks a lot like the Cretodus teeth that can be found in my local Carlile outcrops. Possibly crassidens or semiplicatus.

• I found this Informative 1

I have heard of a few finds of that in North America so it's interesting to see one. The tooth wasn't quite fitting other lamniforms. I will read up more on that one.

Juvenile Cardabiodon venator teeth are present in several museum collections I have examined with shark teeth derived from the Carlile Shale of South Dakota, often without teeth from larger individuals. In the Fairport Mb near Mosby, Montana there is a mix of very tiny (collected from anthills) to very large teeth of this species.

Edited by MikaelS