Some Bones

Highlander

Hello everybody.

I found that pieces of bones in pressured sands. Crimea/Kerch long beaches. Bluff, that was right near the sea consist of pressured sand divided in to layers. In all layers shells (seems to be quaternary). In the lowest layer, which came from the earh was no shells or other marine fossils, just only that bones. It is hard to name the age. Neogene system, or earlier, may be quaternary. I even dont sure that they are fossilized. They looks like something middle between usual modern bones and fossilized.

So they was broken in pieces and i have not anough time to check that zone properly, but i try to save what i found, because sea waves can destroy them in few next days. At home i tried to pull together all parts of puzzle.

So what the type of animal it was?

post-16713-0-15282400-1416652972_thumb.jpg

post-16713-0-95096700-1416652979_thumb.jpg

post-16713-0-56324300-1416652990_thumb.jpg

post-16713-0-34717200-1416653003_thumb.jpg

post-16713-0-36023600-1416653014_thumb.jpg

Any measurements you can provide would be helpful. First guess is a pinniped species, but that is really JUST a guess.

If you show them a transitional, they'll ask for two more. ;)

Буй 4.jpg

This is an astralagus from an artiodactyl.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

With help of Auspex i have some "googling" and understand that it is deer or buffalo. The age is still unknow. But now i know, that one of them front leg bone, and the other is rear leg bone with astragalus.

May be at spring i visit that place again, but the rocks above my head is lookin too dangerous. May be dead deer remains not worth it.

post-16713-0-27315700-1416688367_thumb.jpg

post-16713-0-37508300-1416688373_thumb.jpg

They all look to be an artiodactyl, and I'd guess they are from the same species, if not the same individual.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Yeap. seems to be same individual. because they layed at one level and in right position. But no other bones was there for the first look. But i had no time to explore that place properly. May be more bones still waits their hunter.