Winter Vacation..where To?

MgTattooer86

My girlfriend and I are looking to escape the cold of northeast Ohio for a week or so this January/ February. She isn't really into fossils, or fossil hunting per say, however if there is other things to do in the area, she would be more than happy to spend a few days digging. Basically I'm just looking for some suggestions on localities to spend 7-10 days near public sites. Thinking southern east coast. Any suggestions are appreciated.

If you show them a transitional, they'll ask for two more. ;)

You can't beat Florida, but I probably am a little biased lol :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Looks like that may be our best option. Now I just have to figure out where to dig, I've never been hunting in Florida.

If you're going to be near Sarasota I can help you out and possibly get out to hunt with you on a weekend if you like, just let me know: )

• 2 months later...

Never got to get out of this frozen state all winter... I'm planning a trip to Florida in the summer... I keep seeing fossils I want in my collection coming out of the state. Hopefully when it gets a bit closer I can get in touch with you jcbshark.

Mike

Mike, just a word of advice, creek/river hunting in FL is impossible from the rain in the summer. Your best chances are March, April maybe even May. GL

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Mike, just a word of advice, creek/river hunting in FL is impossible from the rain in the summer. Your best chances are March, April maybe even May. GL

Thanks for the advice... I'm sure I could make the trip in the spring instead.

Charlie is right, summer rains fill the creeks to overflowing. There is diving off venice in summer or hunting construction sites. I prefer digging in the creeks myself : )

Charlie is right, summer rains fill the creeks to overflowing. There is diving off venice in summer or hunting construction sites. I prefer digging in the creeks myself : )

I've seen a lot of awesome creek finds from Florida, that's pretty much what I had in mind.

I really like the variety of stuff in some of the creeks although the condition of some of the stuff I've found on construction sites is very hard to beat too. Diving of Venice can yield some nice stuff but it's 99% shark teeth and very nice condition Megs aren't a given lol, I find it to be less than the average of 1 in 10 which is pretty typical of most sites. For me personally I think it's more like one in 15. :)

I've seen a lot of awesome creek finds from Florida...

Sloth, Glyptodont, Mastodon, Llama, big cats...

They do get one's blood up!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sloth, Glyptodont, Mastodon, Llama, big cats...

They do get one's blood up!

Yes!! I love verts, my area is not so great for finding them.