Fossilsites.com? Any Credibility?

rachums107

Hey guys I found this website called fossilsites.com, and I'm sure many of you know about it already. Was wondering how recently it's been updated it ya'll know and how accurate the fossil locations in it are. Thanks!

rachums107

It is a good list of sites they found in the scientific literature. In terms of joe citizen taking the info to find fossils, it is a good start. If you take the info oh the site and do some research you may find some fossils. You will also find lots of sites that are off limits or that now have houses or parking lots on them. The site descriptions are generally very vague, limiting your on the ground search to a mere 100 square miles. Good luck.

I strongly suspect that much of the information comes from material reported found during construction activity. A survey of the area on Google Earth may save you some time.

Rockwood's suggestion is a good one.

My limited experience with the sites in Georgia is that, of the sites that are specific enough that you can actually find them, over 90% no longer exist. Many have been lost to flooding due to dam construction, road widening/grading, construction (now shopping malls or subdivisions), mine reclamation, private property (with uncooperative land owners) etc. The few sites that still exist are generally well known and heavily collected.

On the other hand, new sites pop up over time thanks to road construction, mining, etc. In general, though, this is not enough to replace the loss of sites.

Western New York still has a lot of great places to collect. You should try to keep up with the scientific literature, as the site information in published papers may be more specific than the fossilsites info. Read the acknowledgements to see if they thank property owners for access, as that will indicate the sites are private property and you will have to gain permission, ideally in advance before making a long drive.

Generally speaking, I think the best strategy is to join local fossil clubs. They will often arrange permission to get into quarries or other private property. If you cultivate relationships with club members, over time (as you demonstrate that you are serious, and trustworthy [can keep a secret] you may be invited along on collecting trips to other sites people do not wish to advertize to the whole world. Of course at some point you will be expected to reciprocate.

Learning as much as you can about the local geology, what formations contain what fossils, and where those formations are exposed, coupled with time spent on Google Earth to locate likely outcrops, will all be essential for discovering new collecting sites.

Don

I think the site does a pretty good job of listing it's own disclaimers. Read the stuff at the bottom of the page. As mentioned, many of the sites are old and gone. But if anything it can give you an idea of what to expect in a given area and can be a start. Just do as much homework ahead of any travel as you can to avoid chasing geese.

I heard about a site in Northern New York from a fellow I met at a local rock and mineral show. I looked it up on the fossil sites website and the directions they had listed matched what I was told. Then another fossil collecting buddy told me he had been to the site and it was very productive. Again the directions matched. We arranged to meet there last summer and did and we both had good days of collecting. So, yes I think the website is useful in a limited way, but I would confirm information from there with other sources. However, much of the information is too general to be of any use. Good luck collecting.

Archived