Spinosaurus Caudal Vertebrae?

yzhang

Hello all! Find this piece for sale online listed as "spinosaurus vertebrae". For me it does seem like a caudal vertebrae from some theropod dinosaur, but could anyone throw some light upon its more detailed ID? Would spinosaur be where this piece comes from? Thanks!!

post-14501-0-25874800-1416869056_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-55028600-1416869059_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-27358400-1416869062_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-64842400-1416869064_thumb.jpg

post-14501-0-07430000-1416869068_thumb.jpg

The extreme concavity of the bottom and side edges suggest theropod. The color suggests Morrocco. So, maybe.

Thanks! That is also the reason I thought it theropod. The seller also described it came from Kem Kem bed Morrocco.

I would second that but without any processes its a guess. Attached is an image of the latest findings on a Spinosaurus. There is a caudal vert you can compare your to.

post-10935-0-74728100-1416870101_thumb.png

Assigning it to a genus is a bit reckless, given the state of knowledge regarding Moroccan theropods...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would second that but without any processes its a guess. Attached is an image of the latest findings on a Spinosaurus. There is a caudal vert you can compare your to.

Thanks for the image! I think I once saw it on a news report about the swimming Spinosaurus :fistbump: I just placed the order, and will upload more pics when I receive it.

Assigning it to a genus is a bit reckless, given the state of knowledge regarding Moroccan theropods...

Agree. Actually I'm also wondering why the seller can just assign this piece to spinosuarus, maybe he just wants to give his fossil a big name to help sell it ^_^

I agree that it is theropod as well. Looks very similar to verts I have seen around here.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

You can't trust this being a Spinosaurus vert because they are so rare and very hard to find in the first place and if it is it would go for large sums of money.

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Agree. Actually I'm also wondering why the seller can just assign this piece to spinosuarus, maybe he just wants to give his fossil a big name to help sell it ^_^

More common than you'd think; a lot of times you pay for the name more than the specimen. A "Theropod Vertebra" will always go for less than a "SPINOSAURUS ERMAGERD JURASSIC PARK" vertebra. Just saying. (And anything that's appeared in "National Geographic" always will be more expensive...lol)

Concur with other thoughts in this thread; unless some autapomorphies are found in Spinosaurus vertebrae, Spinosaurus would seem to be just one of several possibilities.

Hmmm... i bought this vertebra thinking it was Carcharodontosaurus, but that caudal vert in the picture looks almost exactly the same!

post-5373-0-36888400-1416902543_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-87896100-1416902561_thumb.jpg post-5373-0-27913000-1416902581_thumb.jpg

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Hmmm... i bought this vertebra thinking it was Carcharodontosaurus, but that caudal vert in the picture looks almost exactly the same!

attachicon.gifVert.JPG attachicon.gifDSC07606.JPG attachicon.gifCarch vert end a1.jpg

Boy that is a very well preserved specimen and as close a match to the one in the picture as you can find. I would have no problem calling it a Spinosasurus.

Archived