Do These Look Like Poorly Preserved Horseshoe Crabs To You?

fossilized6s

I've been freeze/thawing my pit 2 nods from my last trip to Mazon Creek and I've found some pretty cool stuff so far, but im wondering about these two. These are the positive impressions of two split nods. Both share a semi circular base, which leads me to believe they could be poorly preserved horseshoe crabs. I haven't found one yet, so i have nothing in-hand to compare them to. These are pretty small, and are cell phone shots, so don't hurt yourself straining your eyes too bad.

Any help is appreciated!

Mystery #1

post-14584-0-37334600-1416883899_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-48315700-1416883909_thumb.jpg

Mystery #2

post-14584-0-77929200-1416883923_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-97625600-1416883938_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-66549200-1416883951_thumb.jpg

...........or they could be poorly preserved trigonocarpus sp. Honestly i have no clue.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Thank you Missourian, that's what I'm seeing also. But i don't have any experience with them. It's nice to know im not crazy.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Hi Charlie,

Nice finds unfortunately I've no first hand experience of prehistoric horseshoe crabs. But correct me if I'm wrong they have been found here in the UK.

There was a bbc series called Survivors presented by professor Richard Fortey of the Natural History Museum who went into great detail about the species.

Of which was very interesting indeed.

Here's a video from youtube with Richard Fortey discussing the series...its really interesting.

Regards

Darren

Edited by DarrenElliot

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Thanks Dinoboy123, they're a welcomed addition to my ever growing collection, well...... until i find better ones. ;)

Thanks Darren, i appreciate you sharing the video. I'll have to watch it after work. And yes, horseshoe crab fossils are found across the pond. I know of a few UK members that have been lucky enough to find them.

~Charlie~

Does anyone else care to share your two cents with me about these pieces?

~Charlie~