Photographing Micros And Micro Id's

collector

Hi all. I acquired a Nikon SMZ-1B microscope and have been having fun looking at fossils with it. I also have a Sony a580 DSLR camera and have been attempting to take pictures and finding it challenging. The microscope did not come with a ring light but I have an old B&L variable spot light which has worked for looking at the fossils but I am wondering how much better a ring light would be especially for taking photos. The Nikon ring lights look more expensive than the microscope and will not be on my purchase list. I have used the live focus check feature on my camera which magnifies a portion of the window and you can fine tune the focus. That has helped some but the color is different using it so now I am taking a picture with it and then turning it off and taking another and seeing which looks better. There is also a feature on my camera I have tried where you can change the picture to what it would look like under different types of lighting and I also tried taking pictures holding an LED flashlight (very blue). I have a couple of pieces of Leicester pyrite with fish fossils on them and they are especially challenging to photograph. I have to go back and really lower the saturation on the pictures or they look like children have been playing with rainbow glitter. I was wondering what kind of techniques that other people are using to get clear photos.

I am including some pictures of the pyrite and a couple of others in shale hoping for some ID's. I have some guesses thanks to Karl Wilson's, "Field Guide to Devonian Fossils of New York" and website examples. Thank you Karl.

regards,

Patti

1 - chondrichthys

2 - chondrichthys

3 - ? fish plate

4 - chondrichthys

5 - Bryantodus

I will add others in next message.

post-13012-0-35024100-1416933200_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-27651800-1416933219_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-48113300-1416933236_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-16970400-1416933251_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-77611400-1416933266_thumb.jpg

Here are some more of my microfossils.

Thanks for your input.

Patti

1 - Bryantodus

2 - Ligonodina

3 - fish plate

4 - unknown

5 - ostrocod Ponderodictya punctulifera

post-13012-0-57925000-1416933994_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-65875600-1416934011_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-27010600-1416934026_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-17274600-1416934043_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-55304100-1416934069_thumb.jpg

A couple more. The ostracods and the last unknown are from Hamilton group shale.

Patti

1 - another Ponderodictya punctuliferous

2 - unknown This is from a small 2" piece of shale that has many lots of these most in pieces.

post-13012-0-64776300-1416934494_thumb.jpg

post-13012-0-46664100-1416934518_thumb.jpg

Oooo...very good!

In a couple examples, a little more light wouldn't hurt, but you've got yourself a good tool :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oooo...very good!

In a couple examples, a little more light wouldn't hurt, but you've got yourself a good tool :)

Thank you Auspex! I was thinking they weren't very good. I have to thank my husband for the microscope as he found it up for auction and went through 3 biding sessions to get it for me.

Patti

Your pictures are excellent as they are, but you may eventually run into the problem of fossils being overexposed when on a dark background (assuming you can't adjust the brightness on the fly).

I had such problems with imaging conodonts on black shale:

post-6808-0-84573200-1416957865_thumb.jpg

My solution was to place light objects in the field of view to trick the camera's sensor:

post-6808-0-95479300-1416957864_thumb.jpg

Once it turns out as I like, I just crop the photo.

Context is critical.

Your pictures are excellent as they are, but you may eventually run into the problem of fossils being overexposed when on a dark background (assuming you can't adjust the brightness on the fly).

I had such problems with imaging conodonts on black shale:

attachicon.gifpost-6808-0-58966000-1381101768.jpg

My solution was to place light objects in the field of view to trick the camera's sensor:

attachicon.gifpost-6808-0-37819200-1381101770.jpg

Once it turns out as I like, I just crop the photo.

Thanks for the hint. I will try that.

Patti

• 6 months later...

patti, the feature I like in your photos is the depth of field. in my photos I have to take multiple slices at various focal lengths, then photoshop to get the whole image in focus. my equipment is nothing special, USB microscope 5MP capture.

so well done!

Hey Patti,

I think Your pictures are of good quality. :D

You may want a full spectrum light. I use a desk top reading lamp with a full spectrum incandescent light, some times with a LED lamp at the same time. Quite often I have to adjust the color or exposure to bring out the fossil, and make the photo look like the fossil does in sunlight, as much as possible.

I find the light rings to be to bright, and cause severe overexposure when taking pictures.

I have found it very hard to get a good picture of any metallic mineral such as pyrite.

Keep up the good work.

Tony

PS Those are some really cool fossils You have!! :fistbump::wub::envy:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you for the kind words and suggestions "diddi" and "ynot". I will look into getting a full spectrum lightbulb. I haven't taken many micro photos recently. I picked up a green river fish kit in Kemmerer, WY in the Spring when my husband and I were going cross country to try for fun. It really has been fun uncovering the fish and the microscope became an important tool in doing that. I spent many, many hours hunched over that scope! I did just find an unknown microfossil from a recent trip though so I will have to photograph and post that.

regards

Patti

Archived