Eocene Shark Tooth Id

Lone wolf

Can someone help identify this shark tooth. It was found in a known eocene site. The tooth is appx. 1.6 inches long, .88 inches wide at the root, and .194 inches think in the middle of the tooth. Any information or help in identifying this tooth would be greatly appreciated. post-16785-0-06004800-1416968286_thumb.jpgpost-16785-0-96756500-1416968304_thumb.jpgpost-16785-0-96616000-1416968380_thumb.jpg

The tooth has suffered some wear but I think that's a Hypotodus verticalis lower anterior. Another large sand tiger of the time, Striatolamia macrota, would have more slender, less flat lower anteriors. It's a big specimen for Hypotodus. Interesting find.

Where was it found? Do you know the formation or if it's Early, Middle, or Late Eocene? The largest sand tiger teeth seem to come out of the Middle Eocene for some reason. I have seen some Middle Eocene teeth from the Cook Mountain Formation (might have a different name now) from near Perkins, Louisiana.

Can someone help identify this shark tooth. It was found in a known eocene site. The tooth is appx. 1.6 inches long, .88 inches wide at the root, and .194 inches think in the middle of the tooth. Any information or help in identifying this tooth would be greatly appreciated. attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm not expert it comes to shark teeth, but I have a very similar looking tooth that I have labelled as Carcharias vincenti.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

The tooth has suffered some wear but I think that's a Hypotodus verticalis lower anterior. Another large sand tiger of the time, Striatolamia macrota, would have more slender, less flat lower anteriors. It's a big specimen for Hypotodus. Interesting find.

Where was it found? Do you know the formation or if it's Early, Middle, or Late Eocene? The largest sand tiger teeth seem to come out of the Middle Eocene for some reason. I have seen some Middle Eocene teeth from the Cook Mountain Formation (might have a different name now) from near Perkins, Louisiana.

For comparison:

post-42-0-77790000-1417032515_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Thanks for replying. After comparing pictures to the tooth we do think it is a hypotodus verticalis tooth. Thanks for helping us out on that. As to the location we found it in natchitoches parish louisiana. we believe it's from the cane river formation in the Claiborne Group. We are no experts but we have other sand tiger teeth and this one looked different. So once agin thanks for the id. Any further discussion or clarification would be greatly appreciated.

The teeth of Carcharias vincenti are smaller (rarely exceed 20mm in height) with a narrower crown than that tooth. Also, the lateral cusplets are straighter in vincenti.

I'm not expert it comes to shark teeth, but I have a very similar looking tooth that I have labelled as Carcharias vincenti.

Nice tooth, Harry. I assume it's uncommon-to-rare especially in that condition. That would be one of the most recent occurrences of the species worldwide. It is also last known from the Late Eocene of Europe (at least one French site, I think).

As your label indicates, this tooth form has been called "Carcharias hopei" in the past and the name has actually bounced around a few times between verticalis and hopei since Louis Agassiz described it in 1843.

Jess

For comparison:

attachicon.gifsandtigereocene.jpg