Need Specific Instructions To "area Exposures"

Clanjones

I have found some fossil sites in Des Moines, but it just says to look in "area exposures". I am looking for the Cherokee and Henrietta formations. Does anyone here have any more specific directions to where I can find "area exposures"?

post-15171-0-36973700-1417021794_thumb.jpg

Check creeks and roadcuts.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Concise directions to a specific accessible fossil site are probably best not posted publicly. We enjoy 30,000 - 45,000 unique visitors a month, some of whom are certain to be looking for such sites, so tips might best be made by private message, lest the site gets vacuumed of fossils faster than it can recover. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have found some fossil sites in Des Moines, but it just says to look in "area exposures". I am looking for the Cherokee and Henrietta formations. Does anyone here have any more specific directions to where I can find "area exposures"?

attachicon.gifiowa fossils.JPG

It looks like that came from a really old publication. 'Cherokee Formation' is now the Cherokee Group, and 'Henrietta Formation' is now the Marmaton Group. These two groups, now made up of dozens of formations, contain at least a few hundred feet of strata and cover much if not all of the Des Moines metro. The 'area exposures' mentioned in the old pub have likely been overgrown long ago.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

• I found this Informative 1

Context is critical.