Chowan River Formation

MikeR

PTO this week has allowed me to complete my latest blog entry on the Chowan River Formation of North Carolina. I have included pictures, a species list and references.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/blog/101-southern-comfort/

Enjoy!

Mike

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

I found a piece of Echpora on the Wiccacon however that site is basal Chowan River according to Blackwelder and there is Yorktown shortly upstream so it is a very good chance of being redeposited. Lauck Ward has probably done the most work on the Chowan River and he has never found Ecphora.

I have never personally collected the Goose Creek (have a few echinoids from trades) but I have always wanted to. My understanding is that it is equivalent to Rushmere member of the Yorktown, Raysor, and Lower part of the Pinecrest beds. The Chowan River is upper most Pliocene and if comparing hiatus' could be equivalent to the Upper Pinecrest Beds (beds 2-4).

Mike

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain

The Campbell's Tulane Studies paper on the Upper Goose Creek Limestone has extensive faunal lists. There is some UGCLS along the new highway near Myrtle Beach but I think it would require trespassing unless you just collected quarried rocks along the highway. Lots of Carolinapecten eboreas walkerensis in this material.