Things You've Wanted But Were Too Late

TyrannosaurusRex

What stuff have you wanted to buy but were too late and it was sold?
Here is one of many for me:
Giant beaver incisor
post-13624-0-48130000-1417061803_thumb.jpg
post-13624-0-86916600-1417061820_thumb.jpgpost-13624-0-96626400-1417061844_thumb.jpgpost-13624-0-45301900-1417061862_thumb.jpgpost-13624-0-77160300-1417061873_thumb.jpg
I hope you enjoy this thread!

Oh wow that thing is huge! Looks like it's from Paleoenterprises too, they have really nice stuff.

I've missed out on a number of ebay auctions for fossils that i wanted- a few megalodon and dinosaur teeth, and a nice big smilodon rib section.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Wow that thing is/was big. For me was definitely a complete Diplocaulus replica in matrix that was on ebay not too long ago. Was on there for a few months & right when the price started to dip and I felt like buying it, it had been recently sold :doh!:

Spider in a concretion, Lawrence Formation, Pennsylvanian, Kansas. I passed on it, but in hindsight, the 'high' price wasn't so high.

Context is critical.

Hasn't happened with fossils..But some rifles you see and know you should get..so many regrets in that field!

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

Yep it really is unfortunate when that happens! Ash I had the same thing happen but it was a sword not a rifle. It was one I had wanted for years and I chickened out and didn't get it. It's something I still want though.

or how about the fossil site that you wanted to visit but the hound dogs got it posted before you got around to going?

Have had several lots of teeth slip through my fingers. Most recently I hesitated on a NICE Morgan silver dollar and when I went back to buy it, poof! It had sold just a few hours earlier. He who hesitates...

What about the times you have gotten rid of something and regretted it?

I've never had that happen to me before. I'm sure it's horrible though. :(

A friend of mine spotted a 'rock' for sale (not sure what venue) that he suspected as being an unworked pallasite meteorite (for what would be a ridiculously good price). The seller sensed his heightened interest and decided not to sell it. Poker face is an absolute must in some situations....

Edit: Yeah, pallasites are not fossils, but they are really high on my wish list. :)

Context is critical.

I was at a show in the early 90's and saw a 3-inch mako from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed for sale - tagged at about what a new movie on DVD costs today. I liked it and knew it was uncommon at that size but I decided I would look around some more. I left the room and then thought, "What are you doing? You better go back right now and buy that." I went back down the hall and it had sold. Don't tell anybody I did that.

I did find one for myself a few years later but at four times the price of that tooth I saw.

What stuff have you wanted to buy but were too late and it was sold?
Here is one of many for me:
Giant beaver incisor
attachicon.gifimage.jpg
attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg
I hope you enjoy this thread!

I've done that too. I had a Parotodus from Lee Creek that had weak serrations. I traded it to a friend in the mid-90's. He was really into Lee Creek stuff - more than I was. I should have kept it because I haven't seen another one, but then again, I knew he liked it even more than I did.

I also traded away a Parotodus from the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed that had a wear facet - weird. It didn't all the root but it was a cool specimen. I usually keep teeth like that but sometimes you have to deal something unusual to get something unusual. I think I received a nice Isistius tooth from Florida from that deal.

What about the times you have gotten rid of something and regretted it?

Edit: Yeah, pallasites are not fossils, but they are really high on my wish list. :)

Still a good story and lesson! I often imagine myself in such situations, and mentally practice my poker face - how to straddle the line between interest and (apparent) disinterest!

Archived