Id Moroccan Ammo, Please!

MOROPUS

It's not possible to identify a specimen of ammonite without more info:

What stage of the Cretaceous? Specific locale in Morocco? Formation? etc. It could be one of several genera.

It's not possible to identify a specimen of ammonite without more info:

What stage of the Cretaceous? Specific locale in Morocco? Formation? etc. It could be one of several genera.

Sorry about it, but as I change it for another fossil to a "collector" (not a good hunter, not much to say about his fossils), he didn`t give me more details that it comes from the upper cretaceous; perhaps Atlas? range.I have try to look for the sutures, triying to resemble it to Spanish final Cretaceous (my home country) fossils.No way!

You could start with the family 'Vascoceratidae' and check out genera like Sphenodiscus, etc. Perhaps it'll point you in the right direction.

Unfortunately a lot of specimens from Morocco are of questionable origin. Some are actually from Morocco and others from elsewhere (such as Niger) and sold via Morocco traders. It then becomes hard to identify anything because the Late Cretaceous suddenly becomes a 25 million year spread with all types of possibilities for a specimen.

Good luck. If you can get a good trace of the sutures post a photo and we'll try to help.

• I found this Informative 1

• 3 weeks later...
You could start with the family 'Vascoceratidae' and check out genera like Sphenodiscus, etc. Perhaps it'll point you in the right direction.

Unfortunately a lot of specimens from Morocco are of questionable origin. Some are actually from Morocco and others from elsewhere (such as Niger) and sold via Morocco traders. It then becomes hard to identify anything because the Late Cretaceous suddenly becomes a 25 million year spread with all types of possibilities for a specimen.

Good luck. If you can get a good trace of the sutures post a photo and we'll try to help.

Preservation like the clasic moroccan Mammites nodosoides, so would be Lower Turonian?

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello .

as you have in the photos this kinds of ammonite we find in morocco specily near of the atlas mountain wich far way from my city 140 kms not only this kinds there are also other types .

just cheek those photos and tell me is it the same or no

for more i have some nice pcs of this kinds of ammonite for any one intersting

post-522-1213452009_thumb.jpg

post-522-1213452095_thumb.jpg

post-522-1213452168_thumb.jpg

post-522-1213452216_thumb.jpg

post-522-1213452281_thumb.jpg

post-522-1213452323_thumb.jpg

post-522-1213452369_thumb.jpg

post-522-1213452528_thumb.jpg

It looks similar to 6 and 7 picture, but my specimen is thinner, and the sutures are narrower. I like the 3 and 4 one.They look quite strange...Have you got the ID of it?