Electro Stylus Locking screw Replacement

Axelorox

I was using my electro-stylus when the locking screw just up and flew out. The screw is tiny and I can't find it. Is there anything available at a general hardware like Home Depot I could get as a replacement, or do I have to call Enco and ask them to ship me a new screw?

Sweep floor if it is not carpeted.

If it is carpeted, a big magnet might find it.

But otherwise I think that is a #2 machine screw and I don't know the thread pitch. It is unlikely a local hardware store would have one. If you are a pack rat or know a pack rat, then you can disassemble a gadget to find a screw like that. Remember you are looking for a machine screw, and not a self tapping type of screw that has a sharp tip. Also remember there are different thread pitches, so even if you find a screw of the right diameter, then you need to make sure the pitch is right to avoid cross threading the screw. When you replace the screw, make sure it goes it easy for the first several twists. If it fights you, then you probably have the wrong pitch.

I assume you mean the set screw that retains the point. That's a frustrating problem to have - wanting to work and having a tool idled by such a small problem.

If I were faced with this issue, I would go to one of the smaller, often locally owned, hardware franchises like Ace or Tru-value. It's so much easier to get real help as opposed to the big boys. That's my experience anyway.

Download and take a copy of the attached picture (to illustrate the type of screw and approximate size) and the tool. Ask for a square terminated, slot-headed, set screw that will fit. Then try it for fit right there. Good luck.

post-8873-0-57128500-1417210749_thumb.jpg

tmaier gave a great answer while I was two-finger typing. Good luck.

Edited by snolly50
  • I found this Informative 1

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

If you strike out locally, order half-a-dozen from the manufacturer, and keep 'em where you can find 'em. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yep, that looks like a #2...

or worse....metric.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For a wealth of small screws and such, get one of your old desktop computers and take it apart and collect all of the various sized screws. Hard drives, DVD drives everything as far down as you can get. You will need a set of small screwdrivers for a lot of them. Inside the DVD reader are some small but very strong magnets, they are good to have around. At 1/4 x 1/4 x 1/8 in, you can barely pull them off of the fridge. They are strong enough to attract each other through your finger, just fun to have around. Just a good source for small, precision, screws and bolts.

Hope it helps