Cumberland Maryland Marine Fossils

Shark Tooth Hunter

Hi everyone,

When i think of fossil collecting in Western MD i think of searching for road cuts next and collecting next to busy highways. I never thought I could collect a mile a half mile away from my uncle's farm. Apparently, there was a new road being built near his office, and the builders had all this rock that they dug out. My uncle offered for them to dump it on his property in order to use for a rocky pathway going through the part of the woods. I was originally using this pathway to go check out a cliff that I thought might contain some fossils. But when I stepped out of the car I noticed something different about the rocks I was stepping on. They looked like some of the rocks I had seen in different road cuts. Sure enough, the first one I picked up had a bunch of little shells embedded inside. I later found out that the majority of the shells were brachiopods, which was pretty cool. Since I am from central MD, this was all new to me and a great surprise.

Shark Tooth Hunter post-5370-0-97619700-1417211471_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-24605700-1417211512_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-47843000-1417211552_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-65902700-1417211563_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-95310600-1417211597_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-65770600-1417211612_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-66868400-1417211625_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-77088500-1417211749_thumb.jpgpost-5370-0-95977600-1417211792_thumb.jpg

Now you can take a walk in the Devonian any time you like!

Be sure to keep an eye out for trilobites!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations, Nice finds there and you didn't have to bust your butt to find them. Western Maryland's Paleozoic fossils tend to get over shadowed by the Tertiary and Cretaceous fossils from the eastern part of the state which is unfortunate. I see a number of mucrospirifers, tropidoleptus, possible mediospirifer, and the bivalve, cornulites in the second picture. Definitely curious about fossils in your area. Thanks for posting.

Now you can take a walk in the Devonian any time you like!
Be sure to keep an eye out for trilobites!

Yes I am really hoping to pick up a trilobite next time I'm there.

Congratulations, Nice finds there and you didn't have to bust your butt to find them. Western Maryland's Paleozoic fossils tend to get over shadowed by the Tertiary and Cretaceous fossils from the eastern part of the state which is unfortunate. I see a number of mucrospirifers, tropidoleptus, possible mediospirifer, and the bivalve, cornulites in the second picture. Definitely curious about fossils in your area. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! I still have lots to learn about the area. I can't wait till I can go back to find out more! As these fossils to me are not the average shark tooth I am always used to finding.

STHunter, you will find that these rocks cut easily with a tile saw to reduce bulk. I have collected from this same layer in Romney,WV. Didn't find any bugs though...one fish dental plate(silicified) and lots of gastropod endocasts and molds, horn coral cavities (no casts just molds) same goes for the crinoids and bryozoan. Many very nice brachs though. Dismantle the chunks carefully as most of the fossils are shale/mudstone and fragile. Keep the glue and sandcup handy. Enjoy the "candystore" you will likely get some nice plates for the displaycase. John

STHunter, you will find that these rocks cut easily with a tile saw to reduce bulk. I have collected from this same layer in Romney,WV. Didn't find any bugs though...one fish dental plate(silicified) and lots of gastropod endocasts and molds, horn coral cavities (no casts just molds) same goes for the crinoids and bryozoan. Many very nice brachs though. Dismantle the chunks carefully as most of the fossils are shale/mudstone and fragile. Keep the glue and sandcup handy. Enjoy the "candystore" you will likely get some nice plates for the displaycase. John

. Hey thanks for the advice. I can't wait to see what comes out.

Archived