Strange Invert Id Help Please. Childhood Find.

fossilized6s

I found this on a beach on Lake Michigan when i was a child. It's mostly Silurian there, but honestly coming from a giant lake that glaciers once inhabited you never know. It's a very strange piece. It has what looks to be "eyes", but i know they aren't. It also has a piece that looks to be broken off and then tiny crystals formed inside. Also some of it has a strange circular texture on it, almost like agate eyes everywhere. So im thinking this was definitely heated up. The bottom mostly consists of that said texture with symmetrical lines encompassing it then swirling inward. It reminds me of a cast of something, but the "eyes" don't make sense.

Please help my confusion. It's been a long ID coming.

"Eyes"

post-14584-0-17890000-1417232099_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-58114400-1417232163_thumb.jpg

Crystal "mouth"

post-14584-0-66996200-1417232142_thumb.jpg

"Bottom"

post-14584-0-57558000-1417232225_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-78051000-1417232238_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That 'pigskin' texture is interesting.

I was going to guess a well worn brachiopod with some internal structure exposed.

Steve

That 'pigskin' texture is interesting.

I was going to guess a well worn brachiopod with some internal structure exposed.

I was thinking it was the internals of something too, but the strange symmetry of the fossilized structures suggest otherwise. But honestly, i haven't a clue on this piece.....

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

Must be a cross section of something, but its very cornfusing to me...

Cole~

Knowledge has three degrees-opinion, science, illumination. The means or instrument of the first is sense; of the second, dialectic; of the third, intuition.

Plotinus 204 or 205 C.E., Egyptian Philosopher

I'd say brachiopod, too. Two valves, separated just a bit, opened up to create the quasi-bilateral symmetry. The erosion is exposing a bit of the apex of each valve, creating the "eyes".

That one could be submitted to the "Pseudo Fossil" thread, with the label "Googly Eyed Trilobite Cephalon". :D

Thanks guys for your help. It's much appreciated!

~Charlie~

I rather like the idea of it being a water-worn brachiopod steinkern.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That one could be submitted to the "Pseudo Fossil" thread, with the label "Googly Eyed Trilobite Cephalon". :D

Now I wonder if one fossil mimicking another could be considered a pseudofossil? :)

Context is critical.

Now I wonder if one fossil mimicking another could be considered a pseudofossil? :)

Well, it would still be a fossil, but maybe "pseudo trilobite" would be accurate?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived