Giant Salmon Shark From The Miocene Of Peru

Fossilhound2014

I was wondering if anyone had come across or had any further info on the Giant Salmon shark (Lamna sp.) from the Caballos formation, early Miocene, Peru. The attached pic is from Marc Renz's book "Desert Sharks" and the teeth are from Gordon hubbell's collection.post-16194-0-15499400-1417263178_thumb.jpg

This is a screencapture of the same teeth from the companion dvd. Has anyone seen these teeth in other Miocene locations outside of Peru?

post-16194-0-05173100-1417403133_thumb.jpg

post-16194-0-17100400-1417403156_thumb.jpg

There have been a couple of teeth found in the Pungo River Formation at the Lee Creek Mine in Aurora NC that look similar to these teeth. I don't think they have been properly identified. I was at the mine soon after one of them was found and there was a lot of discussion about it by people who saw it.

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks, that's very interesting. Could those have been from the porbeagle or Carcharoides catticus shown at elasmo.com?

post-16194-0-47092000-1417443975_thumb.jpg

post-16194-0-57939900-1417443985_thumb.jpg

Thanks, that's very interesting. Could those have been from the porbeagle or Carcharoides catticus shown at elasmo.com?

Neither of these are the teeth. C. catticus are regularly found in the reject material. I have several that I've found. Lamna nasus were occasionally found in the Pliocene Yorktown Formation (I found one).

The teeth I'm referring to were never photographed for the Elasmo web site but I think one of them was mentioned in the collecting reports.

I've seen photographs of the two I mentioned. They will be in an upcoming volume published by the North Carolina Fossil Club. It should come out in 2015.

This tooth form has been informally reported from the Vaqueros Formation (Early Miocene) of southern California but they are very rare. They are similar to Otodus teeth or some of the Cretaceous lamniforms. I didn't know what to call these teeth until I first visited Gordon Hubbell several years ago. It was incredible to see those teeth in person.

This is a screencapture of the same teeth from the companion dvd. Has anyone seen these teeth in other Miocene locations outside of Peru?

I don't think this tooth form has been formally described.

I was wondering if anyone had come across or had any further info on the Giant Salmon shark (Lamna sp.) from the Caballos formation, early Miocene, Peru. The attached pic is from Marc Renz's book "Desert Sharks" and the teeth are from Gordon hubbell's collection.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Many thanks for all the info, and I look forward to the new book from the North Carolina Fossil Club.

Where would it be possible to find the informal report from the Vaqueros Formation?

I think this tooth form has also been found in Japan (Senhata formation, Late Miocene)- from the J-elasmo site

post-16194-0-35980800-1417499949_thumb.jpg

The informal report was just a reliable source telling me about this tooth form at a Vaqueros site he collected. It may be in a faunal list as something like "Lamniformes, indet." or something like that but that could also be a reference to Megachasma applegatei which was formally described earlier this year. I'm away from home now and can't recall the author and publication date but you might try looking for a paper about the age of the Vaqueros. It might be authored or co-authored by Donald Prothero.

Many thanks for all the info, and I look forward to the new book from the North Carolina Fossil Club.

Where would it be possible to find the informal report from the Vaqueros Formation?

I think this tooth form has also been found in Japan (Senhata formation, Late Miocene)- from the J-elasmo site

I don't remember it having a photo. The other thing you should do is contact Dr. Gordon Hubbell. You should be able to find his email address on the web. He might have updated info on the teeth.

Thanks for the info, will try to look it up (& hoping it will have a picture!)

• 5 months later...

I've seen photographs of the two I mentioned. They will be in an upcoming volume published by the North Carolina Fossil Club. It should come out in 2015.

Hi again Al Dente, could you tell me whether this is in the "Fossil Fish - Volume III of IV (2015) (Book or CD)" that was just released?

Thanks

Hi again Al Dente, could you tell me whether this is in the "Fossil Fish - Volume III of IV (2015) (Book or CD)" that was just released?

Thanks

The two teeth that I mentioned are in the new book. They don't look exactly like the ones you posted but there are similarities. Both are on page 49 of the new book and have been labeled Brachycarcharias with a question mark. The description makes the disclaimer that they are larger than the Eocene Brachycarcharias and that they are not confident of this identification but have nothing better to suggest. I will add that the new book is very nice.

Al Dente,

I went to the club site but could not find any kind of breakdown of the book - chapters, page examples. How does it look? Seventy-six bucks isn't a bad price for a 350+ page book. It appears to be more of an informal guide than technical reference but then Welton and Farish's book was a great combo. Even if you haven't read it but have had a chance to leaf through it, what's your opinion so far. I didn't know it was in the works, so to me, it came out of nowhere.

Jess

The two teeth that I mentioned are in the new book. They don't look exactly like the ones you posted but there are similarities. Both are on page 49 of the new book and have been labeled Brachycarcharias with a question mark. The description makes the disclaimer that they are larger than the Eocene Brachycarcharias and that they are not confident of this identification but have nothing better to suggest. I will add that the new book is very nice.

Al Dente,

I went to the club site but could not find any kind of breakdown of the book - chapters, page examples. How does it look? Seventy-six bucks isn't a bad price for a 350+ page book. It appears to be more of an informal guide than technical reference but then Welton and Farish's book was a great combo. Even if you haven't read it but have had a chance to leaf through it, what's your opinion so far. I didn't know it was in the works, so to me, it came out of nowhere.

Jess

The book is impressive. There are three or four color photos on each page. This series of books began taking shape about 15 years ago. Richard Chandler did almost all of the photography and did a good job. If you get the CD you will be able to zoom in on the photos. The book is divided into a large section on sharks, Rays and chimaeras, a section on bony fish and a small section on otoliths. Gerard Case and Gordon Hubble reviewed the shark and ray section. Several other researchers aided with a few IDs. I think you will be pleased with the book. A quick count of the number of species of sharks and rays identified in this book is close to 150.

Thanks for the information Al Dente, I've gone and ordered the book.

Just wondering whether anyone here has contact information for Dr. Gordon Hubbell? I'd like to see if there's further information about this species. I found an address for his museum, but no email. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

On 1/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, Fossilhound2014 said:

Yes, there is a thread here on the articles: