Herb

I'm going to be in Panama City, FL the last 2 weeks of December (21st-1/1) . Any tips for collecting in that area? I would like to meet any other FF members in that area just for fun. If interested you can MSG me here or at Herb40291 at bellsouth.net.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

I've collected a bit in this area. There's an excellent FGS publication on fossil localities in the panhandle available online:

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00003731/00001/1j

Alum bluff on the Apalachicola river is a well known fossil locality, but I'm not sure if collecting is allowed there, and I've never been. Presumably there are other exposures on the river as well. I've seen some nice gastropods from the Chipola river and its tributaries, but I personally had no luck when I tried kayaking it. I would recommend the Econfina creek, because it's fairly close to Panama City. It's a great kayaking trip, with clear water and multiple springs. I've found sand dollars and bivalve molds, as well as a diving knife, which seems like a rather silly thing to bring on this creek. In my limited experience, you're going to have the best luck screening or snorkeling the local rivers, and you're going to want a kayak or boat. I'd say it's worth a trip to the Econfina just to check out some of the springs, I don't think you need a kayak to access them. At this time of year, you'll probably want a wetsuit :) Don't confuse it with another Econfina river/creek that's much farther away in Florida, it's about an hour drive from Panama City if memory serves. Hope you found this helpful!