I Felt Inspired To Create A Couple Displays

fossilized6s

Im in the process of making two large fossil display cabinets and I'm having a hard time thinking of ways to display my Mazon Creek nods without buying hundreds of acrylic easels/stands, as well as utilizing ALL of my space as efficient as possible. So i went vertical. I found a way to display my long and skinny Mazon ferns efficiently as i could, and it was free. This stand is based off of a spoon stand display. I figured i'd show you guys this simple project just encase you may have the same problem.

I had a few pieces of Lexan laying around for random projects, so i made it with that. Bend, cut, measure, dremel, drill, finished. It's not perfect, but i was done in about 20mins. A simple solution. Now i just have to make a few dozen more..... :o

post-14584-0-67528600-1417403647_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-98130300-1417403660_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-77230900-1417403685_thumb.jpg

After that quick craft i was inspired to make another display piece. This one was a bit more involved, but it was pretty simple also.

I have about a dozen of these 4"x4"x8" acrylic display boxes that were given to me. So i decided to experiment with one.

I cut out two pieces of leather hide for the base and painted the edges of one piece black and the other antiqued bronze. I left the tan natural look for the top. Next i cut up an old gold look metal coat hanger and bent it accordingly. Then i measured and drilled a few holes to house my newly bent metal pieces. Next i dremeled a few channels in my leather base and sandwiched the two pieces of leather together, holding my metal legs in place. Done. I like it. Now i need a fancy brass name plate to finish her off. All in good time.

post-14584-0-98120600-1417404798_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-68053000-1417404829_thumb.jpg

post-14584-0-17002900-1417405123_thumb.jpg

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Looks good!

If you want a fairly sturdy wire that's easier to bend than coat hangers, try 18 or 20 gauge stem wire from the floral section of a craft store. It's possible to do a lot with that. :D

Wow, great displays. I have a bunch of Lexan left over from my building windshields back in my racing days. I think I will try and buit some of my own stands.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Looks good!

If you want a fairly sturdy wire that's easier to bend than coat hangers, try 18 or 20 gauge stem wire from the floral section of a craft store. It's possible to do a lot with that. :D

Thank you!

And thanks for the tip, I'll have to check that out. I have a grand idea for a project, so I'll be visiting the craft store sooner then later.

Wow, great displays. I have a bunch of Lexan left over from my building windshields back in my racing days. I think I will try and buit some of my own stands.

Thank you!

That's exactly what these scraps were from. That's funny.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK

That's cool. What did you used to race?

It's from my Dad's work. They make accessories for stock cars.

~Charlie~

Thanks Jeff and Seaforth! I appreciate it.

~Charlie~

I just received my brass name plate today and slapped er' on. Me likey! And $12 for a custom name plate you really can't go wrong.

post-14584-0-38116900-1417839538_thumb.jpg

Im going to be making a shadow box from scratch soon for my Tully Monster. I hope to get most of it done this next week.

~Charlie~

Wow. Really nice displays!

Edited by Stocksdale

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

Qoute…“This stand is based off of a spoon stand display. I figured I’d show you guys this simple project just encase you may have the same problem.”

They look amazing from here….and would be very fitting for our ever expanding Belemnite collection.

So I’m thinking “how can I get my hand and a couple of those for the New Year “.. ;)

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Yep Charlie, those are very nice! well done. Regards, Chris

Great work on the displays. You have a nack for fossil presentation.

Thanks Chris and sseth, i appreciate that.

Qoute…“This stand is based off of a spoon stand display. I figured I’d show you guys this simple project just encase you may have the same problem.”

They look amazing from here….and would be very fitting for our ever expanding Belemnite collection.

So I’m thinking “how can I get my hand and a couple of those for the New Year “.. ;) [/size]

Regards,

Darren.

Thanks Darren. It would be a nice problem fixer for your Belemnites. You really could make this out of anything. If you were closer, i would just send you one.

~Charlie~

How did you bend them? I'm assuming you just heated them up. If so, how hot and what did you use to form them.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

How did you bend them? I'm assuming you just heated them up. If so, how hot and what did you use to form them.

It was bent when i got it. They use a break at my Dads work to bend it. But im sure baking it would soften it enough to bend. I'll ask my ol' man what he thinks. I'll let you know.

~Charlie~

Cool thanks! I wondered if you got it already bent. I have lots of flat pieces left.

Cool thanks! I wondered if you got it already bent. I have lots of flat pieces left.

Well my Dad said that you could bend thin lexan with a simple sheet metal brake. But seeing as though your lexan is most likely thick for windshields you may have to heat it up then use a brake. He suggested a ribbon heater. I've honestly never used one, so i have no clue on how they work.

You could also just cut thin (4"-6") strips and counter sink them into a nice piece of wood for the base. That way the back is still clear and the base is sturdy enough to hold anything and would look good. Also a nice brass plate can be applied to the wooden base. In fact, i may just use this idea.....lol

Or......i could send you a few small bent blanks IF you have someone in the USA that i can send it to and you pay for shipping. But with the holidays approaching I'm getting crazy busy, so it wouldn't be until after the New Year.

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~