Mammal Tooth

Shellseeker

I went out yesterday (foolishly). It was deep and fast. But there is a lot on my plate and days on the Peace are few and far between until after Christmas. The sun was shining, a beautiful day above the river. Found some decent hemis, a nice sand tiger and then this beaten up mammal tooth.

I think it is canine or marine mammal, although that may be redundant. the measurement is approximately 38 millemeters with an inner denser core and an outer larger wrapping. So question: Is this inner/outer core definitive? Usually on mammals outer core is denser enamel.

post-2220-0-26207600-1417711996_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-47214100-1417712027_thumb.jpg

Blow-ups.

post-2220-0-46519200-1417712064_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-95568100-1417712079_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any/all comments.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Broken sperm whale tooth?

"A man who asks is a fool for five minutes. A man who never asks is a fool for life".

And here i thought it was too beat up for a ID.

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

And here i thought it was too beat up for a ID.

I also used to think that, but now I have confidence in Harry and RIch and Bobbie and so many more experts on TFF.

Harry, Got this from Wikipedia:

Toothed whales, such as the sperm whale, possess teeth with cementum cells overlying dentine cells. Unlike human teeth, which are composed mostly of enamel on the portion of the tooth outside of the gum, whale teeth have cementum outside the gum. Only in larger whales, where the cementum is worn away on the tip of the tooth, does enamel show.[15]

So the more brownish material is cementum wrapped around a core of enamel? Is this unique to marine mammals or specifically toothed whales? Thanks for the photos, I save then on my local disk next to the find and add to my understanding. Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"