Auspex

Well, by golly

Jolly Snolly

Limner of the clever mot

Has won the crown

Of great renown

(though it prolly was unsought)

:i_am_so_happy:

Snolly50's Tao is sought through such seemingly disparate disciplines as fossil preparation and wailing out a R&B classic on a vintage Conn sax; a quiet, meditative pursuit, and one that is not so quiet! Still, he is a man at peace, even when fomenting a Forum benefit auction bidding war.

C'mon y'all, and join me in giving it up for snolly, Member of the Month for December, 2014!

My friend, thank you! You add to the Forum in uncountable ways, and we are much the better for it. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

congratulations Snolly, and thanks for being here :)

Carmine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Congrats snolly! It's a Pleasure to have you on the forum. I always enjoy your insights. Thanks for all you do here.

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

Congrats Snolly! It's certainly well deserved! Thanks for all you do!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Congratulations, Snolly.

Well deserved - I enjoy your posts, your poems, and your knowledge.

Thanks for all of you do.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Congrats Sir Snolly. Even though i haven't the funds to bid on anything when auctioned, it's fun to read the "interesting" comments and poetry. ;)

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I am most delighted to have been selected from the deserving pool of nominees!

I would like to provide an additional comment on the morrow, which I hope will convey my sentiment regarding this valuable Forum.

Thank you all for the kind words. The approbation is much appreciated.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Congratulations, Snolly! You are most certainly deserving of this award!

"Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
-Romans 14:19

As the young Robert Zimmerman once sung in one of his early talking blues pieces:

"I'm a poet...

I know it...

Hope I don't blow it..."

I would like to apply this in reversed fashion to our winner: I hope he does blow it! Got a sample of your musical talent you can share with us?

Congrats, Snolly!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Congratulations John!

Can't believe you hadn't already received this accolade. Well deserved.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

In a brief and uncharacteristic fit of serious, sober thought; snolly will attempt to convey the importance of this Forum. Reproduced below is a brief essay attempting to describe an event I felt of significance. My experience on the Forum shadows the emotion engendered by the experience below. In this Forum I experience through others; adventure, discovery, scholarship and most importantly - Wonder. Thank you all.

A Brief Account of an Extraordinary Occurrence - a scientist steps from his own door and

within a second; hears from God, Nature, a Talking Cat and Himself.
A few years back I stepped out my front door with the intent of retrieving my newspaper from the box. It was cool, gray dawn with just enough light to see clearly. As I stepped onto the porch my eyes naturally shifted to view my goal, the paper box about 30 yards away. I immediately spotted an animal standing in the road in front of the box. My lightning fast brain quickly sized up the situation, "Look at that dog," it stated. "That's not a dog. It's a cat.," came the rejoinder from a more reasoned portion of my mind. "That's a big cat!," a more excitable bit of neural tissue chimed in. The executive portion finally took charge and in an inner voice tinged with authority (and with a little assistance from the limbic system and adrenals - ramping me up for flight) said,"That's a freakin' bobcat!" The pedantic, show-off portion added smugly, "That's Lynx rufus, you know." The big eared, spotty coated, long legged, feline fixed me with his steady gaze for what felt a very long time. I am sure in real time it was no more than a second. He (or she) then made a right angle turn and leisurely crossed the street, ascending the small hill on the other side. This action afforded me an excellent view of the legendary "bobbed" tail and the preternaturally long rear legs. At the top of the small hill a dense wooded area begins. Ole whisker cat stopped at that margin and looked back over his shoulder, directly at me. The eyes, while not glowing, shone a bright yellow in the gloom. For the second time the creature fixed me with its gaze. This time, a small, quiet voice or thought registered in my mind; the source - Ole tufted ears, Nature, God, my own heart? I don't know, nor does it matter. "It" said, "This is my world, you are fortunate to be in it." The cat turned its head and melted noiselessly into the woods. I got my paper from the box, feeling that the cat was watching me from the nearby trees.
On the short walk back to the house I found myself to be excited, but also almost paradoxically, at peace. I tossed the paper on the kitchen table. Any desire to read what Mankind considers "news," temporarily erased. Pouring a cup of coffee, I went to the back deck to watch the sun finish its daily debut over the lake. Idly sipping, I reflected on what a singular, wonderful world it indeed is.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Those moments are only as rare as we let them be.

Wonder on, my friend!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I reflected on what a singular, wonderful world it indeed is.

And Louis Armstrong was also right on with his musical assessment. Thanks for sharing a wonderfully deep experience.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you all for the kind words. The approbation is much appreciated.

...that approbation is well deserved. A doff of the hat to you, Sir.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

A true gentleman, scholar, and artist in many forms.

We are indeed enriched by your presence here.

Thank You John : )

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Hi Snolly,

Congrats !

I love to read your contributions, and your poetry during auctions puts of the enjoyment on the forum. So continue !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Well done Snolly..my son seems to think you write the Cat in the Hat books.

Regards,

Darren.

High praise indeed, and not misplaced!

Archived