Recommendations For Winter Collecting At The Beach?

Minerva8918

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to see if anyone had any recommendations for some winter collecting gear. More specifically, waders and maybe gloves of some sort? I've never collected in the winter because I'm wimpy and don't like cold, but I'm hoping that I can get some suggestions from y'all that could lead me to give it a try.

I've poked around Amazon looking at waders, but the different types are kind of overwhelming. I don't wade into water deeper than my knees if I can help it, but I think maybe hip waders would be sufficient? I just don't know.

I do my collecting at Calvert Cliffs area, and even at low tide, the water sloshing around as I walk through the water (unavoidable at some parts) gets into my boots, which go up just below my knees, and I'd prefer to not have cold water freezing my feet! I also spend a lot of time squatting down, and of course bending over frequently to pick things up, so the waders would have to withstand that.

There are clay blocks that may get rubbed up against by my legs, and I'm concerned about some of the fallen trees that I may accidentally step on/by (although I try my best to avoid), so I suppose it'd be important that they don't puncture or tear easily. The ground has some very slick spots (I have busted my behind plenty of times, even when I'm careful LOL), and I'm not familiar at all with what type of 'boot' part would be best.

Another thing I'm curious about is if there are any types of gloves that are waterproof or will keep my hands/wrists warm and/or from getting too wet. I feel kind of ridiculous asking if these things exist, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Any experiences, tips, and/or recommendations would be great! Thank you :)

I am partial to Cabelas waders. They have a good return policy. As far as gloves go look at the rubber gloves that commercial fisherman use. My gear serves double duty for duck hunting and fossil collecting.

• I found this Informative 1

I made a long handled scoop for my beach adventures. I was looking at the ones they sell near the beach near the door of Bed, Bath and Beyond but they looked wimpy. I seen another one at a gift shop, same thing. So while I was looking at the wimpy,cheesy one, a nice guy walked over and said, "hey look I wouldn't buy that it is too flimsy". He told me to go to Goodwill and buy a golf club, and attach a sieve to the end of it. So I did- I went to Goodwill and sure enough there were golf clubs for $3.00. I picked out a nice all metal one with a rubberized grip. Then I went next door to a home goods store and bought a sturdy sieve for $5.00. I didn't have a saw with me on the trip so I just duct taped the snarge out of the sieve to attach it to the golf club. Presto! A very sturdy tool to quickly grab a tumbling tooth! Or other items of choice. It saved my hands over the past cold week on the beach from the wind--it was downright cold! Hope this helps a little!

Silly person, winter is for identifications and cataloging by the fire...except here in Texas when we do that in August sitting in front of the AC running full blast.

Ludwigia - thank you for this suggestion! I had thought about some sort of diving suit but have no clue about them. It looks as if they have some that cover the feet, which is ideal since my feet get cold easily. That said, I'd still need some sort of boots or waders that would go high enough on my legs (which are short lol) to keep water out of said boots. It is quite uncomfortable to be trying to walk the beach with boots filled with water (been there before...) LOL! Obviously, I'd stop and empty them, but it's aggravating to do constantly if the waves are constant. Thank you again for this suggestion though, it is something I will think about!

Kirk - thank you for the specific recommendation! Good to know about the return policy, and it's great that yours serve double duty. Do you think they would hold up against accidentally brushing up/bumping into unseen rocks or branches (or me wiping out on the slick rocks LOL)? Thanks for letting me know about the commercial fishing gloves. Very helpful!!

JimB88 - why, yes...the idea of a jacket has occurred to me LOL!

Salty - what an excellent idea!!! I, too, had considered the cheapy grippy things, but knew they were flimsy, so I hadn't gotten one. This golf club attached to a sieve sounds perfect and easily made. Thank you so much!!!

Erose - I can understand sitting in front of the AC during TX summers, but as much as I hate the cold, it's still a nice little getaway of sorts to go collect fossils :)

RyanNREMTP - this sounds intriguing. I think my hesitation with that is that the best teeth (at least for me) have come from the water, but bringing home buckets full of the sand from the water would be very smelly! As for bringing buckets from the cliff's falls, I suppose that could be an option. As I mentioned above though, there's just something satisfying about going out to the place and collecting there. Thanks for your thoughts!

Minerva--Yes the scoop is very handy, and lightweight. At least once I wacked the head off the golf club! It really helps your speed too when those little teeth are rolling along in the water. Plus your back will like you better! It's Very easy to make. The rubber, grippy handle proved to be a good idea too because the salt water is slippery. A persons hands get so darned cold, maybe not from the water but wind....arghhhh....I hate frozen hands. I have to get a pair of gloves that are waterproof like everyone has mentioned. :)

MInerva,

I Hunt Calvert Cliffs all year round, in fact winter time it's my favorite time to be out there, there is less competition, however it's more dangerous and slippery too, I like to use full waders, but also have hip waders, to reduce slips I use yaktracks I prefer the pro's, those have a strap around the boot and don't worry too much about losing them, I also have made my tools using golf clubs, the trick is if you have a torch you can heat them enough and being careful not to burn yourself twist the heads out, then fit the shaft with sievers, also a simple thing I use and save me some cold fingers aside using gloves it's some small forceps, with that I can pick the smaller teeth... now in winter time the cliffs are more grumpy, they fall easily so you have to be really careful, if you ever get wet, you turn around and get out, water gets really cold and hypothermia is a real risk, always have your cell phone protected against water, and a lighter and snacks... you never know. Best of luck and see you at the cliffs. MK

Don't use a dive suit or neoprene waders. I have tried both and even at 10F you will be sweating using them. Get full regular waders not hip waders. You don't want to get water in your waders in the winter. Use layers of different thermal clothing. Multiple thermal socks will keep your feet warm and use a thick outer sock which will absorb small amounts of water in case you get a wader leak. Wear a pair of sweat pants to keep your legs warm. Get bigger size waders to accommodate the extra socks and sweat pants. The waders will have a belt that will keep them on comfortably even if several sizes bigger. Get something like muck booties to go over the wader feet. Remember to get bigger size boots/booties to go over wader feet and extra socks. Don't use anything with laces and booties will work better/last longer than full boots. Wear layers of thermal clothing versus a couple with a winter jacket. With layers you can always add a layer or take a layer off especially as the day warms up. Heavy jackets don't give you that flexibility. Your layers should be wind proof and you should have at least a few layers with zippers which you can zip or unzip to regulate temperature. Have a layer with a hood like a sweat suit top. Wear a heavy knit cap that pulls down over your ears under your hood. Bring a lighter baseball type hat in case it warms up. For really cold windy days wear a face mask. When it is 10F and there is a 25 mile per hour wind you can get frostbite without this. Keeping your hands warm and dry can be very difficult if you reach into the water. I start a day with rubber gloves and then switch to regular gloves which I don't get wet if my hands get cold. It is always good to wear a light back pack to carry the extra clothes or put clothes in that you take off. I wear an orange sweat suit top with a hood during hunting season as my outer layer under my waders.

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget a life jacket. With the clothes you need to stay warm, if you fall in they will soak up water and you will be amazed at how heavy you become. I know from personal experience. Also consider wool as it will keep you warm even when wet.

I would take a look at the sealskin glove company. They are waterproof mesh gloves and are not bulky allowing you to still have "good" dexterity. However i should say i wear some type of glove yearround for work so i have gotten used to the constant pressence, but as winter gloves and water goes, these can't be beat in my opinion.