Fantastic Olenellus Formation Discovered In 2014!

silverford

First found by members of the newly formed Lancaster County Fossil and Mineral Club earlier this year, theis new West York Pa Kinzers shale site has proved to be the most prolific site ever recorded since Dr. Walcott and Dr. Wanner - namesake of the Olenellus Wanneria - were traipsing all around York and Lancaster Counties back over 100 years ago. I, myself have found 120 complete specimens of mostly Thompsonai in just 3 months. Wannerias also, are popping out. Sizes here are mostly 2-inchers to larva stage... many are 1-inchers, but, all are tip-to-tailers - some with tailspines. There has never been anything like this site before and I have collected at every site since the late 1970s. Incredible! Christopher L. Haefner silverfordinc <at> yahoo.com President, Lancaster County Fossil and Mineral Club

post-17110-0-76317200-1418423312_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

That is very, very cool .... I was a frequent visitor to the Marble Mountains location out in California myself. Welcome to the forum !

Welcome to the Forum :)

Great entrance!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Amazing!

Welcome to the Forum. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations to you and your club on this great discovery! I'll go along with jp: be nice to see more pix and perhaps even a description of the site and its fauna(of course without giving away any secrets) What do you plan on doing with the other hundred or so Thompsonai once you've screened them for your collection :drool: ? Or are you hanging onto them for scientific purposes?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Welcome To TTF. We really appreciate this information on such a site.

Congratulations to all involved in this discovery.

This discovery just goes to show we have only begun to seek out the incredible.

We anticipate some wonderful stuff from you and your compadres.

More more more!!!!!

Jess B.

That is great news! Glad you're here.

Just curious is the Site on private or public property?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Additional pics from the new York site would be better handled by having people e-mail me personally.... however I currently host another blog site from the discoveries of silver-ore I found at America's oldest silver mine: Pequea Silver Mine blogspot... I have hosted more of these trilobites there because it's a well-known site now. Many thanks. I enjoy sharing the information too as a lecturer.

Congratulations on your Olenellus finds and welcome to the Fossil Forum from the Hudson Valley, NY. I take at least a few trips into PA each year and am definitely interested in Cambrian trilobites. Will e-mail you to get more info. In the meantime, please post more about your finds. I'm sure there are a lot of Forum members interested.

Darn sorry I missed this. I am definitely interested in going to the site.

Any chance of Friday? :) There still might be a few warmer days to come

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get one Fossil Forum member to the site a few days ago. We chatted for a bit and I showed him where some of the best material was coming from - he found a nice tip-to-tail Thompsonai! I guess the system works! By the way, went back the one 'warmer' day last week and found 7 more including a nice near-perfect Wanneria!

Congrats on your latest finds. Any chance you could post more photos? I and I'm sure others would love to see them. Best wishes.

That is very, very cool .... I was a frequent visitor to the Marble Mountains location out in California myself. Welcome to the forum !

Welcome to TFF! Nice find! I barely ever find full trilobites… your lucky ;0

Brett, is

Olenellus

your profile pic?

Edited by izak_

Welcome to TFF! Nice find! I barely ever find full trilobites… your lucky ;0

Brett, is

Olenellus

your profile pic?

Indeed Dinoboy .... straight out of the California Latham shale. That can be some hard-rock mining let me tell you.

Cheers,

B

History in the re-making, so to speak. Very cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Such a wonderful discovery, with historical implications as well! Congratulations to you - and the club. Well done!

Would love to make it down there someday.

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Wow that is indeed an exciting experience. Congratulations and great job on following the research!

Thanks for the update

Would love to give a lecture here and there concerning just how the site came into being, and how I passively first began digging into the 100-year-old Smithsonian Papers to even dare to think we had found Dr. Wanners first Wanneria site! What a story!

Would love to give a lecture here and there concerning just how the site came into being, and how I passively first began digging into the 100-year-old Smithsonian Papers to even dare to think we had found Dr. Wanners first Wanneria site! What a story!

Would you be able to write up the story for posting here? I'm sure we'd all love to hear the backstory!

Regards,

No sorry, even though I have written several books about my silver discoveries: "The Silver! Mine!" when I outsmarted a millionaire into finding silver ore on and off his property... there is no space here for such a story. It'll take a book or at the least, a lecture to adequately tell what happened.

Christopher L. Haefner