rockspringer

Fossil Sites Near New Orleans?

rockspringer

Any beaches or public areas available around New Orleans for fossil hunting? I'm going with my wife to a conference there in May and I'm looking for some fossil hunting in the area to keep me busy while she's in meetings!

Thanks,

Mark

minnbuckeye

My son is involved in a masters program at Tulane. Because of this, we visited New Orleans this summer. Before departing to the south, I researched whether any fossil collecting areas existed close to New Orleans. Drew a big blank. I would suggest instead, an airboat excursion into the swamp south of the city. It was FABULOUS. Good luck and let me know if you find anything.

FossilDAWG

I agree with minnbuckeye. There's a lot of things to see and do in NO, but fossil hunting is not one of them. Besides the air boat excursions, just walking around the French Quarter should be great that time of year. If it happens to be raining, you could check out the WWII museum, the Audubon Butterfly Museum (tons of live butterflies), the aquarium, etc.

Will you be driving from Georgia to NO? If so, we could perhaps suggest a stop or two along the way, but NO itself is on the Mississippi delta and a long drive away from the nearest outcrop.

Don

rockspringer

Normally I would be driving but we're flying this time. Thanks for the replies - looks like I'll just try some of the local tourist stuff and some good seafood.

Missourian

The Mississippi delta is currently a fossiliferous area under construction. :)

OneOneNiner

I know where to look about an hour away.

Shoot me a pm if that's not too far and I'll fill ya in on a spot.

9er