Looking For Reading Material On Shark Teeth

Salty

Hello Everyone!

Yep another newbie question! Can any of you recommend a good guide book on shark teeth? I want to try to learn about the geology/era and how to ID any fossil teeth I find. Although for now my few teeth won't take too much to look at, but I am hoping in the future to find sites to go to outside of the beach. At this time I mainly look on the beaches from Myrtle to Pawleys Island. Hopefully I will also figure out where to hunt in creeks, ditches and the like. Any info would be appreciated! I am so glad I found this forum, this looks like a great bunch of helpful people!

There are books, some of them pretty good (especially when you're looking for natural history info more than ID), but let me introduce you to the tooth collector's premier on-line ID resource: elasmo.com: LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A great book on identification of shark teeth is "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region" by Bretton Ward. Its out of publication but if you can get a used one would be very helpful. Covers most of the teeth you would find in your locality.

Thanks for the info! I tried the link to the site but it says there is no such site. Any ideas?

Try again; it works for me. If not, it's www.elasmo.com

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I like Mark Renz's book Megalodon Hunting the hunter but it only goes back to the Eocene and there are plenty of earlier sharks : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

the fabled Lee Creek Vols, I, II, and III are available for free download, far's I know...

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/32036-online-pdf-versions-of-geology-and-paleontology-of-the-lee-creek-mine-north-carolina/

from yet another informative thread by our own Oxytropidoceras :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Fruitbats Library - extensive resources, again, right here on the foum :)

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/14389-fruitbats-pdf-library-class-chondrichthyes-sharks-rays-and-their-relatives-by-order/

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

• 2 weeks later...

I would also suggest "The Collector's Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays from the Cretaceous of Texas" by Bruce Welton and Roger Farish. It's over twenty years old now, focuses on Cretaceous forms, and some name changes have been proposed since then but the introduction and first four chapters provide a lot of general information on shark and ray fossils. Chapters 6 through 9 cover collecting, preparing, organizing, and displaying your specimens.

The most important thing to keep in mind is to always label your specimens. If you find a tooth or a handful of teeth in one spot or in a small area, keep them together in a separate container and throw in a label noting where you found them. You can add the date. If you find a tooth in a piece of rock - even a partial tooth, take it home because you (or someone else) can identify the formation later even if you don't know anything about geology at the time. You can always ID the teeth later but as you accumulate fossils, you might forget where you found some of them. It will make a difference to you in the future.

Hello Everyone!

Yep another newbie question! Can any of you recommend a good guide book on shark teeth? I want to try to learn about the geology/era and how to ID any fossil teeth I find. Although for now my few teeth won't take too much to look at, but I am hoping in the future to find sites to go to outside of the beach. At this time I mainly look on the beaches from Myrtle to Pawleys Island. Hopefully I will also figure out where to hunt in creeks, ditches and the like. Any info would be appreciated! I am so glad I found this forum, this looks like a great bunch of helpful people!

Thanks to everyone who has replied! I got the Megalodon book for Christmas :D. So I will hunt for some more material. The websites have been very helpful! Thanks again folks! Keeping track of your finds sounds pretty smart too. My brain would never be able to keep up with it.