Gigantic Hybodont Spine Question

Boesse

Hey all,

During a marine croc excavation I was on this last fall, we dug up a huge hybodont dorsal fin spine that measures about 36cm long. I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to pre-Miocene sharks, so I wanted to ask if this was abnormally large or not.

Bobby

I think that would qualify as gigantic! I haven't seen reference to anything much larger than half that size in the upper cretaceous. What was the age of the deposits?

Hey all,

During a marine croc excavation I was on this last fall, we dug up a huge hybodont dorsal fin spine that measures about 36cm long. I'm relatively ignorant when it comes to pre-Miocene sharks, so I wanted to ask if this was abnormally large or not.

Bobby

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

I think that would qualify as gigantic! I haven't seen reference to anything much larger than half that size in the upper cretaceous. What was the age of the deposits?

Aptian/Albian I believe. It's from the Thermopolis Formation.

I think the biggest spine I have seen was about 20 cm. It was from Morocco but it was complete and unrepaired. I thought that one was huge.

I'll get a photo on here sometime later tonight or tommorrow. Trust me - this thing is BIG.

Bobby

May I ask why people are finding these 'shark' spines? I know sharks teeth are found by the kajillion, but that the bones are cartilage and rarely fossilized. Why so many spines? I also saw several while in Tucson too.

RB

May I ask why people are finding these 'shark' spines? I know sharks teeth are found by the kajillion, but that the bones are cartilage and rarely fossilized. Why so many spines? I also saw several while in Tucson too.

RB

Actually, I believe that fish spines -- e.g. hybodont and heterodont shark spines and catfish pectoral spines -- are derived not from the cartilaginous or boney skeleton, but from toothy origins. That is, they are made of dentin/enameloid. Amazing, huh!

Here's one of the spines from Morocco:

post-42-1235343215_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

RB

Hybodus was a Mesozoic shark (though it arose late in the Permian). Megs etc. didn't have spines.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybodus

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Actually, I believe that fish spines -- e.g. hybodont and heterodont shark spines and catfish pectoral spines -- are derived not from the cartilaginous or boney skeleton, but from toothy origins. That is, they are made of dentin/enameloid. Amazing, huh!

Here's one of the spines from Morocco:

post-42-1235343215_thumb.jpg

Jesus! That is amazing! Certainly explains why they are found. Not for dumb question #2, just where are these spines located on a shark? I prep lots of fishes and know where the spines can generaly be found, but a shark is totaly different.

RB

Jesus! That is amazing! Certainly explains why they are found. Not for dumb question #2, just where are these spines located on a shark? I prep lots of fishes and know where the spines can generaly be found, but a shark is totaly different.

RB

In hybodonts, such spines were mounted at the leading edges of the dorsal and pectoral fins. I don't know if they had an erectile function, but it wouldn't surprise me if they did. Sorta' like catfish.

What seest thou else

post-45-1235345274_thumb.jpg

Jesus! I should have guessed, but I didnt have a clue. thanks a ton bill. Now I know. You guys are much smarter than little ole me thats for sure.

RB

I should mention that in conjunction with Harry's note is that this thing has little enameloid denticles or hooks on the trailing edge of the spine. Also, Ron, those ridges on the spines are made of enameloid (what sharks have instead of regular enamel; I don't actually know what's different).

Bobby

...this thing has little enameloid denticles or hooks on the trailing edge of the spine.

Like this:

post-423-1235349385_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I should mention that in conjunction with Harry's note is that this thing has little enameloid denticles or hooks on the trailing edge of the spine. Also, Ron, those ridges on the spines are made of enameloid (what sharks have instead of regular enamel; I don't actually know what's different).

Bobby

Genetically speaking, these spines in sharks are derived from enlarged dermal denticles in the same manner as stingray spines.

I don't think catfish and other boney fish have dermal denticles, so I'm guessing that their pectoral spines are modified teeth that migrated out of the mouth.

What seest thou else

OK everyone, here it is, the moment you've all been waiting for. Check this thing out! And like I said, its about 36 cm, which is somewhere around 13 or 14".

Bobby

post-225-1235375964_thumb.jpg

That is enormous!!!! :o

Like Ron, the biggest one I had seen previously was between 8-9 inches from Morocco. Thanks for the pics

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

RB

Shark spines seem to be derived from highly modified scales, which are also covered with an enameloid just like the teeth. One line of thought is that shark teeth originated as scales that migrated into the mouth and eventually became teeth. The spines are not present in all sharks but are restricted to more "primative" types of sharks. One type of shark that is still around that has spines is the Port Jackson shark, Heterodontus portusjacksoni. You may have seen it on a nature program getting spit out by a larger shark or fish that didn't like getting jabbed in the roof of their mouth with a sharp object. That spine seems to work like a charm. Fish fin spines are derived from the skeleton of bony fish, they are modified from the fin skeleton, just much more robust than a "regular" fin bone.