All Air Products Air Scribe.

Lmshoemaker

Greetings,

I wanted to ask about the air scribe sold by all air products, here: http://www.allairproducts.com/air_tools/specialty-air-tools/

Has anyone here used this model and, would you recommend it?

I also heard that they don't sell it to the public but will if you say your heard about it on here, is this true?

i have this scribe and it works great. you are correct in that they do not sell to the public but if you tell them you are from this forum they will sell to you. Their customer service is great as well. I would recommend them. Also, while you are at it, order an extra tip. This will save you on shipping if you need one later. They do make a tip that is a bit longer and I ordered it when I bought mine. Good luck!

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

http://prehistoricalberta.lefora.com

i have this scribe and it works great. you are correct in that they do not sell to the public but if you tell them you are from this forum they will sell to you. Their customer service is great as well. I would recommend them. Also, while you are at it, order an extra tip. This will save you on shipping if you need one later. They do make a tip that is a bit longer and I ordered it when I bought mine. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice on getting a spare. Did you have to inquire about the longer tip? Also, what psi does this thing need to run? Thanks again!

no problem. I did ask about the longer tip. As for psi, I beleive you need at least 90psi to run it. I have a 60 gallon compressor so air is not an issue. I can run it at 90psi for a good 15 minutes straight before the compressor kicks in. I have a friend that uses the same scribe but has a small pancake style compressor and it cannot keep up.

There is some discussion here on scribes as well. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/38897-tips-for-buying-an-air-scribe/

A fossil hunter needs sharp eyes and a keen search image, a mental template that subconsciously evaluates everything he sees in his search for telltale clues. -Richard E. Leakey

I bought an 8315B years ago and like it a lot. You can also order additional tips from PaleoTools. Their Paleo Aro is basically the same tool. As I think about it, I am not sure if PaleoTools' tips fit or if you'll have to buy a special bushing form them, but PaleoTools does offer a wider variety of tips, for future use. Runs well at all psi from my compressor.... i.e. 70 to 110 or so.

I bought an 8315B years ago and like it a lot. You can also order additional tips from PaleoTools. Their Paleo Aro is basically the same tool. As I think about it, I am not sure if PaleoTools' tips fit or if you'll have to buy a special bushing form them, but PaleoTools does offer a wider variety of tips, for future use. Runs well at all psi from my compressor.... i.e. 70 to 110 or so.

I forgot about paleoTools offering parts for this scribe as well. I have not tried running mine lower than 90 psi but I think I will try that. If it works fine than that means longer run time between fills!

Thanks guys, this helped a lot, should try to order one tomorrow or the day after.

One more question to whoever can answer it: How do you lubricate and air scribe, and does it come with the necessary lubricant?

That is a good question. You simply put a couple of drops of air tool oil in the end of the hose before you use it. My scribe did not come with the oil but it can be purchased anywhere that air tools are sold. Well this particular scribe does not necessarily need oil, you should still use a bit in it every time you use it. There isn't much for moving parts in the scribe like some air tools. The only part that moves is the tip it's self. There is an o ring at one end and a spring at the other. The air forces the tip up which then breaks the seal and the spring pushes the tip back down to create the seal again. All the oil really helps to do is keep the O-rings lubricated and from drying out.

• I found this Informative 2

That is a good question. You simply put a couple of drops of air tool oil in the end of the hose before you use it. My scribe did not come with the oil but it can be purchased anywhere that air tools are sold. Well this particular scribe does not necessarily need oil, you should still use a bit in it every time you use it. There isn't much for moving parts in the scribe like some air tools. The only part that moves is the tip it's self. There is an o ring at one end and a spring at the other. The air forces the tip up which then breaks the seal and the spring pushes the tip back down to create the seal again. All the oil really helps to do is keep the O-rings lubricated and from drying out.

Thanks again for your help, all of this information is really usefull.

You can buy stock Aro tips from PaleoTools that will fit any of the Aro clones. I use their ARO-STY-STK 2.5 carbide stylus. Works very well and you can do much more detail work with it than with the stock Aro stylus. I run mine at 100 PSI with a pancake compressor. It keeps up but just barely.

• I found this Informative 1

There is some good information on the paleo tools web site here http://www.paleotools.com/which_airscribe.html. Scroll down about 3\4 of the way down the page and you will see it.

• I found this Informative 1

I called them and both the owners were really nice, there has been a change though; the scribe now costs 120$.

They were great to deal with for sure. And yes, the price did go up I see. I did pay $100 for mine. I do think even at $120 it is a good price. Did you order it?

I am technically getting it for Christmas, my mother was going to buy it on the condition I buy my books for next semester at college. She wasn't there as she was at work so it will probably get ordered tomorrow.

That is still a good deal. When I first started to deal with them (about 20 years ago) the price was $140. It came down significantly and is now on the way back up. I thought the $140 was a great deal. The "ARO" brand is probably over $300 these days.

crinus

I bought my air scribe from all air products about 6 months ago and love it. It has the ability to rip off big chunks of matrix when you want it to or do fine detail work with just a twist of the handle.

It came in Monday but I got to try it out today. I love it! I need to practice (landscaping in particular) but this tool will surely be a great asset! Thanks to all mentioned it here as I wouldn't have known about it were it not for the forum!

Congrats on the new purchase! Have fun with it and make sure to post some pics of the prep that you do with it.

I have the American air scribe as well and run it at 100 psi as my Comco unit needs 100 psi. I also use a Dremel engraver ($18 on Amazon) with carbide tips from EBay seller "mydiggingfossil". The carbide points are $1 each and it works about as good as an air scribe. I did have to ream the engraver slightly with a drill so the carbide points would work but it was well worth it. Any time I don't want to fire up the compressor I use my electric engraver. The only down side is that the unit imparts lower frequency vibration into the fossil which can be problematic for delicate material. It cuts hard dolomite about as good as the air scribe. If you are on a budget you can be scribing for less than $25 with several tips.

• I found this Informative 3

• 6 months later...

I have the American air scribe as well and run it at 100 psi as my Comco unit needs 100 psi. I also use a Dremel engraver ($18 on Amazon) with carbide tips from EBay seller "mydiggingfossil". The carbide points are $1 each and it works about as good as an air scribe. I did have to ream the engraver slightly with a drill so the carbide points would work but it was well worth it. Any time I don't want to fire up the compressor I use my electric engraver. The only down side is that the unit imparts lower frequency vibration into the fossil which can be problematic for delicate material. It cuts hard dolomite about as good as the air scribe. If you are on a budget you can be scribing for less than $25 with several tips.

Hurray! Thanks Cluros, this is the bit of information I've been looking for.

I need to get through 3-7mm of 18" layer matrix and using an air scribe is not an option.

I am making a DIY air abrader, but need to get down to the fish first.

I'm off to Home Depot and I'll report on my progress...

"Ain't no fossils in Hawaii...."

• 1 year later...

I want to second Cluros post. I bought my dremel engraver and stopped using it because the tip was so blunt and destructive. When I got my mydiggingfossil carbide points I tried it again and found it was great. The poor man"s air pen? At the low power setting I can gently "scrub" away thin layers of matrix. At high power setting I can remove larger amounts of matrix as fast an I can with my air pen. I use my Dremel with an iluminated magnifier (3 diopter, 2.25 X) from menards $40. The poor man's Stereo microscope? I have a JDS air filter in my shop to keep down the nasty fine dust it produces. After prepping the fossils I polish away the residue and scratches with 3M Radial Bristle Discs 80 grit on a flex shaft. The poor man's air abrasion?

• 4 years later...

Has anyone successfully ordered an air scribe from all air products recently? Their phone line has been busy whenever I call