Anniversary

ashcraft

I am in a bit of a conundrum. My wife and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary this summer. She likes to travel, I don't. I like to hunt fossils, she doesn't. So, in an effort to make us both equally happy/miserable, I am thinking of a trip that would allow me to hunt some fossils in new territory. I am in Southeastern Missouri, so basically equally long distance from anywhere. I am looking for suggestions of any type. I would prefer something guided, or public property open to collecting, with other interesting attractions nearby. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Penn Dixie in western NY is a great public site, and Niagara Falls is pretty close by.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

You might try around Pikes Peak, Colorado. You can do the pay to dig site for Florissant plants/insects, plus visit the fossil beds. Plenty to do around there as well....Bed and Breakfasts, etc. Breckenridge isn't far away, and it's neat in the summer.

And...congrats!

I'm a little biased but Florida has beautiful weather this time of year and the fossiling ain't too bad either! Congrats on your anniversary! :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Thanks for all the comments. I have been very fortunate that my wife decided to "marry down".

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Hey Brent. I'd be happy to meet you at mazon for a day of collecting. Endless attractions in chicago, which is fifty miles from the piles. :) I bet we could sway Charlie, among some others, into coming out as well.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Brent, how about a trip to South Dakota, Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills and the Badlands. Though after watching Dinosaur 13, I may accept Rob's gracious offer and incorporate a visit to Sue at the Field Museum in Chicago. Isn't it ironic that I suggest visiting 'Sue' for Your wife's anniversary!!!

Surprised no one has mentioned Shark Tooth Hill!

Lots to do around there.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Brent, how about a trip to South Dakota, Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills and the Badlands. Though after watching Dinosaur 13, I may accept Rob's gracious offer and incorporate a visit to Sue at the Field Museum in Chicago. Isn't it ironic that I suggest visiting 'Sue' for Your wife's anniversary!!!

I did some research on the badlands, which interest me. How would you go about collecting such a place?

I have wanted to go to the Field Musum in Chicago, and who wouldn't want to go to Mazon Creek?

As far as Florida, we would be looking at going in June, how is the weather/humidity at that time of the year?

The "far west" as defined by anything west of Nebraska, is probably not in the cards for this year. Scares me, may not want to come back.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

...The "far west"... Scares me, may not want to come back.

Brent Ashcraft

I totally understand. ;) Don't hesitate to holler if you make it this way. Edited by PFOOLEY

"I am glad I shall never be young without wild country to be young in. Of what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?"  ~Aldo Leopold (1887-1948) 

New Mexico Museum of Natural History Bulletins    

point.thumb.jpg.e8c20b9cd1882c9813380ade830e1f32.jpg research.jpg.932a4c776c9696d3cf6133084c2d9a84.jpg  RPV.jpg.d17a6f3deca931bfdce34e2a5f29511d.jpg  SJB.jpg.f032e0b315b0e335acf103408a762803.jpg  butterfly.jpg.71c7cc456dfbbae76f15995f00b221ff.jpg  Htoad.jpg.3d40423ae4f226cfcc7e0aba3b331565.jpg  library.jpg.56c23fbd183a19af79384c4b8c431757.jpg  OIP.jpg.163d5efffd320f70f956e9a53f9cd7db.jpg

Unfortunately I have had no experience with fossils in the Dakotas. Hopefully someone can help if this is the direction u choose. Anyways, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.

Congratulations Brent,

21 years ago, in July, my wife and I flew into Boulder Co. and rented a car for a two week excursion into the beautiful state of Colorado. From Rocky Mtn National Park camping to Leadville abandoned silver mines, Pikes Peak, Salida and the Royal Gorge rapids, Black Canyon solitude, Glennwood Springs the edge of the western desert, Frisco and Vail, we ended in Boulder at the 'outdoor Mall'

observing Human nature. :P

That was our Honeymoon and I could do it again.

If I knew I could of dug at Florissant I might of had to stay :D

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I did some research on the badlands, which interest me. How would you go about collecting such a place?

I have wanted to go to the Field Musum in Chicago, and who wouldn't want to go to Mazon Creek?

As far as Florida, we would be looking at going in June, how is the weather/humidity at that time of the year?

The "far west" as defined by anything west of Nebraska, is probably not in the cards for this year. Scares me, may not want to come back.

Brent Ashcraft

Florida in June is even slate 100 degrees/ 100% humidity with a 50% chance of rain and another 50% chance of a hurricane lol. Not so many fossil options im my area in the summer unless you're a diver or like wandering around construction sites : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

• 2 weeks later...

Although you mentioned staying out of the west, a loop to Kemmerer, Jackson Hole and Yellowstone is a fine way to spend a week or two.

Kemmerer is a bit of a backwater place but there are many commercial sites to collect eocene fish - lodging/eating isn't all that nice in Kemmerer- but you can make up in Jackson Hole.