Ammonite Id Needed

danco

Perisphinctes indeed.

i have several of those that originate from France, Poitiers area if I remember correctly

Not sure if they can be found in texas too.

In fact, I am looking at one (big Perisphinctes fella) that acts as a paperweight on my office desk :D

Hope this helps

cheers from overseas!

Pat

There's no surface exposures of Jurassic rocks in Texas. There are, I believe, a couple of small road cuts out in west Texas that hit some Jurassic sediments but from what I've read, they are very small. Not likely that this ammonite came from there.

Yes, looking more closely at it, and comparing it with the one I have from Madagascar, it certainly appears that way.

I had it mistaken for a Perisphinctes from France but I would place my money on Madagascar now.

Thanks everybody. I incline also to Madagascar. My original supposition was Texas (not knowing what kind of ammo and period is) because I bought it from a Texan.

Yes, Texas is Cretaceous.

Edited by danco

Yes, Texas is Cretaceous.

Actually, Texas is:

Precambrian, Cambrian, Ordovician/Devonian/Mississippian Undivided, Pennsylvanian, Permian, Triassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene, and Holocene depending on where you look. Almost soup to nuts geologically! :D

Actually, Texas is:

Precambrian, Cambrian, Ordovician/Devonian/Mississippian Undivided, Pennsylvanian, Permian, Triassic, Cretaceous, Paleocene, Eocene, Oligocene, Miocene, Pliocene, Pleistocene, and Holocene depending on where you look. Almost soup to nuts geologically! :D

To paraphrase Aldo Leupold: "I love all Texas periods, but am in love with the Permian." ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Actually, Texas is:

All that is missing from that list is the Silurian and Jurassic. I'm pretty sure there is some Jurassic in the deep subsurface, so look for it to show up in another 50 million years or so.

Don