Rock/fossil From Texas.

GTVH

My neighbor noticed that I had taken an interest in a couple rocks she had laying about and offered me a couple pieces. She told me they were collected somewhere in Texas and that they had fossils on them. I know very little of fossils/rocks other than I used to collect geode's as a child :) Perhaps someone here can help me out with an identification. I will post back with more info if I can garner anything else from my neighbor. Thank you all :) I will include a Link to my dropbox folder, The pictures my phone took are over 2mb.

post-17145-0-87011700-1418867825_thumb.jpg

post-17145-0-37519900-1418867836_thumb.jpg

Well, they are fossils. I see what looks like a crinoid columnal in the lower left corner, but most of that is something else.

To me, they look like serpulid worm tubes.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It looks like some septal worm tubes, possibly from the Pennslyvanian age. Matrix looks like some that I have found at Lake Jacksboro.

Worm tubes was my first inclination.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm definitely not an expert on this subject, but they don't look like worm tubes to me. I'm not aware of any worm tubes that branch, and it appears this organism is branching in the lower left hand side. Syringopora is connected by infrequently spaced transverse tubes. This Syringopora looks similar to these photos: http://skywalker.cochise.edu/wellerr/fossil/coral/Syringopora8.htm

Here are some links to posts relating to Syringopora:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/47526-a-trip-to-carboniferous-ireland/?hl=syringopora#entry512658

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/43225-id-help/?hl=syringopora#entry469969

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/42567-what-is-this-strange-fossil/?hl=syringopora#entry463053

It could also be another tabulate coral genus I'm not familiar with. Unfortunately I think the crystallization might have destroyed any internal structure that could easily distinguish these two options. Just my two cents :)

Thank you guys for all the feedback. I'll be able to go back to the neighbor and let her know what it might possibly be. I"ll post back if I can get any more info from here. Happy holidays guys :)

they look like worm tubes to me also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I have to go with verydeadthings on this - what worm tubes branch like that one in the lower left of the piece (with the longitudinal striations/ribbing)?