Croc Tooth Id

Mtskinner

How do you go about figuring out what species croc/gator these came from? All were found in southeast Alabama. This first one is right at 1-3/4" long and 9/16" wide.

post-13898-0-75437900-1419051481_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-08291300-1419051497_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-97803700-1419051506_thumb.jpg

post-13898-0-35832400-1419051517_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mtskinner

I am always tentative in differentiating gator from croc teeth. Here is an interesting link. http://www.paleodirect.com/mv10-011.htm

Here are some (likely incorrect) --

1) Striation lines are horizontal on gators and vertical on crocs

2) Croc teeth are curved to an extent that gator are not

3) Croc teeth are larger than gator teeth

Tooth in post #3 is gator, post #1 is likely croc. The other 2 could be either. The american crocodile is named Gavialosuchus Americanus. A complete skull with teeth was found in Bone Valley Florida.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The very heavy striations tend to indicate Deinosuchus.

Here are some (likely incorrect) --

1) Striation lines are horizontal on gators and vertical on crocs

No. My modern alligator teeth (and the fossils) are vertically striated.

2) Croc teeth are curved to an extent that gator are not

Depends on the tooth location and species. Not always a consistent rule of thumb.

3) Croc teeth are larger than gator teeth

And that depends entirely on the size of the particular gator or croc. I have fossil alligator teeth from Florida which are larger than all my other croc teeth and all but my larger Deinosuchus teeth (which is actually an Alligatoroid vice a Crocodile)..

And much of the data in the link you provided is incorrect as well. Gavialosuchus is not a member of Gavialidae and thus not closely related. Crocodiles have not remained unchanged since the Cretaceous anymore than Sharks are identical to ones living in the Cretaceous. And Gavials (Gavialis gangeticus) do not live in salt water.

• I found this Informative 1

Paleoc,

Thanks for correcting the numerous inaccuracies and providing the true expertise for which TFF is known. I have learned much about Croc and gator teeth.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Thanks for the info guys! I'm thinking the first two teeth I posted are Deinosuchus and the last one is Leidyosuchus but the two smaller tips I'm still unsure of.

Edited by Mtskinner