Mammoth Molar: Real Or Replica?

jonne1984

This mammoth molar was given to me a few years ago, and the owner could not tell me much about it. Based on the photos, can anyone tell me if it is real or a replica? I tried pushing a red hot pin into it to see if it was resin or not, and the pin did not go through.

And based on the number of enamel ridges, does anyone know which species it might be?

Thanks a lot.

post-17155-0-57468600-1419072140_thumb.jpg

post-17155-0-04711200-1419072296_thumb.jpg

post-17155-0-25766400-1419072298_thumb.jpg

post-17155-0-35351600-1419072300_thumb.jpg

post-17155-0-97708300-1419072302_thumb.jpg

post-17155-0-27176600-1419072305_thumb.jpg

There is no question about its authenticity in my mind. Very nice. I wish people would give me stuff like that. I’m assuming it had a European origin, and the possibilities - progressing, from earliest to latest are generally regarded as:

M. rumanus, with 8-10 enamel ridges (rare and unlikely)

M. meridionalis, with 12-14 enamel ridges

M. trogontherii, with 18-20 enamel ridges

M. primigenius, with 26 enamel ridges

We’re counting ridges here – not plates. I think those numbers are not 100% reliable because of variations and evolutionary progression (and also one has to be careful about teeth that are partial and missing some of their plates) but it looks like Mammuthus primigenius (woolly mammoth) on that basis.

Roger

I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew);Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who [Rudyard Kipling]

As painshill, I see no reason to doubt this attractive piece.

"Never look a gift horse (or mammoth) in the mouth."

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks like a good example of M. primigenius, no reason at all to think it's replica. Plenty of them to be found throughout Europe, but not all as nice as this one.

Dear Painshill, Snolly50 and Taogan,

Thanks a lot for your informative responses. Now that I know it is real, I will take care of it even better than before!

Looks like a good example of M. primigenius, no reason at all to think it's replica. Plenty of them to be found throughout Europe, but not all as nice as this one.

As painshill, I see no reason to doubt this attractive piece.

"Never look a gift horse (or mammoth) in the mouth."

There is no question about its authenticity in my mind. Very nice. I wish people would give me stuff like that. I’m assuming it had a European origin, and the possibilities - progressing, from earliest to latest are generally regarded as:

M. rumanus, with 8-10 enamel ridges (rare and unlikely)

M. meridionalis, with 12-14 enamel ridges

M. trogontherii, with 18-20 enamel ridges

M. primigenius, with 26 enamel ridges

We’re counting ridges here – not plates. I think those numbers are not 100% reliable because of variations and evolutionary progression (and also one has to be careful about teeth that are partial and missing some of their plates) but it looks like Mammuthus primigenius (woolly mammoth) on that basis.

Archived