Christmas Greetings From The Coal Heap Today

nala

The weather was really nice today,not usual for the season,i had few free time and went to the coal heap,Westphalian of northern France :)

post-2325-0-75944700-1419095901_thumb.jpg

post-2325-0-27176200-1419095915_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-76619900-1419095928_thumb.jpgpost-2325-0-76133900-1419095944_thumb.jpg

post-2325-0-87744600-1419095959_thumb.jpg

Nice specimens.

For people on this forum, a lump of coal in the Christmas stocking would be a good thing. :)

Context is critical.

Thanks nala for the tour of your coal heap.

As they say-- One man's trash is another's treasure.

For some reason I find vast industrial wastelands fascinating.

The vegetation and wildlife seem relatively patient with our disturbances and are relentless in their return.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

yes indeed,they didn't make the things in half in the Carboniferous!

and i found also this very glossy neuropteris(more shiny in the light)like covered by varnish but naturally post-2325-0-84604400-1419199267_thumb.jpg

Thanks Missourian;JustPlainPetrified,and squali

And i have found my Christmas tree!Merry Christmas!attachicon.gifIMG_4241.JPG

Gery, that plant is gorgeous. congrats! Others are excellent as well. Looks like you do indeed have some pelecypods there...looks like in one of the samples you have one with nearly complete attached valves--very nice.

Polymorphopteris?attachicon.gifIMG_4264.JPG

I'm thinking this last example could be part of the Alethopterid group due to shape of and how the bases of the pinnules are attached.

Awesome stuff. Regards, Chris

Great finds Gery, Those piles just keep on giving!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

it's the first time i find this kind of fossils,the plate is totally full of imprints in both sides,perhaps freshwater bivalves,i still not find the ID