How Does The "freeze And Thaw" Method Work?

thefossilkid

Hello, I just bought 33 un-opened mazon creek fossil nodules, and the seller said its best to use the "freeze and thaw" method. What is the "freeze and thaw method? how does it work?Thanks

Jake.

Hello, I just bought 33 un-opened mazon creek fossil nodules, and the seller said its best to use the "freeze and thaw" method. What is the "freeze and thaw method? how does it work?Thanks

Put your nodules in shallow tubs of water....put in your freezer until frozen....thaw....repeat. The water will soak into the weakest part of the nodule - the fossil - and expand when frozen. The nodule will neatly split at the fossil. Be patient. It takes many times.

Put it in the oven at 450% for two hours or more

Take it out and throw in it a snow bank

wait until spring to pick up the piece's :D:D

NOT :faint:

Put your nodules in shallow tubs of water....put in your freezer until frozen....thaw....repeat. The water will soak into the weakest part of the nodule - the fossil - and expand when frozen. The nodule will neatly split at the fossil. Be patient. It takes many times.

I'd never heard of that method either but it makes sense... really cool! (no pun intended)

ok, so i put the fossils into water for how long? and then put them in the freezer for how long? then thaw them for how long? then do u put them back into the water again and start the procces over? or just keep putting them into the freezer?Thanks

Jake.

ok, so i put the fossils into water for how long? and then put them in the freezer for how long? then thaw them for how long? then do u put them back into the water again and start the procces over? or just keep putting them into the freezer?Thanks

put them in the freezer until the water freezes solid....will depend on how deep the water is. Thaw until completely melted - again, will be determined by the depth of the water. A shallow tray will allow more freeze/thaw cycles per day. I don't recommend running under hot water to thaw them - you can crack them in places where the fossil isn't. The freezing opens the nodule, not the thawing.

put them in the freezer until the water freezes solid....will depend on how deep the water is. Thaw until completely melted - again, will be determined by the depth of the water. A shallow tray will allow more freeze/thaw cycles per day. I don't recommend running under hot water to thaw them - you can crack them in places where the fossil isn't. The freezing opens the nodule, not the thawing.

OOOO ok I got it now, Thanks!!!

Jake.

thefossilskid

Please post on what happens.

[/quote

OK, no problem ;)

BTW, how long does it usually take for them to "pop" open?

Jake.

BTW, how long does it usually take for them to "pop" open?

"A watched nodule never cracks"; just keep doing it until they do :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

"A watched nodule never cracks"; just keep doing it until they do :)

but if there is no fossil inside, ther will be no airpocket for the water to get into, resulting in a nodule that wont crack. right??

Jake.

but if there is no fossil inside, ther will be no airpocket for the water to get into, resulting in a nodule that wont crack. right??

At some point, there was an organic mass. That's what the nodule formed around. There are "empty" nodules where the organic material did not preserve. It will however make a weak point in the nodule, and that's where it will split. You may have to freeze/thaw 50+ times for a stubborn one.

If you heat them first before putting in water. as they cool in the water the air inside will condense and draw in more water speedin g up the whole process.

:)

How would i heat them? can i freeze them , then put them by my fire placr to speed the thawing out?

Jake.

How would i heat them? can i freeze them , then put them by my fire placr to speed the thawing out?

Don't speed the thawing!!! (Think throwing hot water on a piece of glass....) CRACK (and not where you want it)

If you heat them first before putting in water. as they cool in the water the air inside will condense and draw in more water speedin g up the whole process.

:)

how would i heat the fossils?

Jake.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, does the water needs to be changed after every freeze and thaw cycle?

Hi, does the water needs to be changed after every freeze and thaw cycle?

Nope! Any water is fine...

Nope! Any water is fine...

they opened!! I got ferns, cyperite, and i think a little clam.

Jake.

Lets see pictures, good job!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great!!!

How many freeze/thaw cycles did they take?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Woo hoo! Christmas in March!

Archived