Fossil Lineages

Haizahnjager

I am unsure if there has been a thread such as this, but I thought it interesting to post. While collecting today, I was thinking about all of the shark species I have found in my excursions and trying to trace them back as far as I could take them. Many species could be definitively traced back to the Cretaceous, but others were not as clear.

I think it a valuable exercise for the more seasoned collectors and a wonderful learning tool for the newbies. A few subcategories may be:

a) Trace modern species' lineage back as far as possible (ex. I. paucus --> I. praecursor)

B) Trace ancient species' lineage forward unto extinction (ex. C. appendiculata --> C. megalodon)

c) Trace lineages forward including any possible "off-shoot" species (ex. O. obliquus --> Parotodus spp.)

d) What assumptions certain genera placements make on the species' lineage (ex. Carcharodon vs. Carcharocles

vs. Megaselachus)

e) Identify gaps in the fossil record (examples of transitional specimens that are absent)

It would also be of great help if the corresponding geological time frame for a particular species is given when available (C. megalodon = Miocene through Pliocene)

I hope we can all have fun with this one and learn something as well (maybe Auspex can tell us how the modern day chicken evolved from some bacterium ;) )

-HZJ

Your timing for this topic is very ironic. I just happen to be preparing a display showing the evolution of the Great White and Giant White lines of sharks for my club's annual show this coming weekend. Here is an article by Lutz Andres containing a "family tree" for the Carcharocles and Isurus/Carcharodon lines dating back to the Cretaceous. If anyone wants to make the drive to South/Central Ontario, the show is Saturday and Sunday and will feature some fossils but mostly minerals. I'll take some pics of the show and my completed display and post them early next week.

http://www.fossilguy.com/topics/megshark/megshark.htm

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Thanks NS,

I am sitting here studying for the GRE and it was good to see someone finally posted in this thread. Don't be shy folks, heck post a supposed lineage to get everyone discussing the issue.

-HZJ

As promised, here is my display showing the evolutuion of Great White and Giant White sharks from my club's show this weekend. It took home the award for the best fossil display at the show, so now I guess I can truthfully say I have an award winning collection.

post-77-1235956449_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

As promised, here is my display showing the evolutuion of Great White and Giant White sharks from my club's show this weekend. It took home the award for the best fossil display at the show, so now I guess I can truthfully say I have an award winning collection.

Have I got a deal for you! Come down here and enjoy the (comparatively) balmy weather while you organize and label my collection! Sleep on it, if you need to :)

Regarding your "award-winning" collection....if they only knew!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very cool display Northern! :cool:

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Bravo on the display :applause:

-HZJ

Have I got a deal for you! Come down here and enjoy the (comparatively) balmy weather while you organize and label my collection! Sleep on it, if you need to :)

Regarding your "award-winning" collection....if they only knew!

Tell you what. You convince my wife to let me go while she stays here with the 3 kids, and I'll be happy to. I won't hold my breath though :P

If only someone could publish a book with nice linage and pictures showing the different shark species. Now I know that there are thousands but a book on the more main or common ones would be most helpful for fairly new comers to the hobby as myself.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"