Is This A Vertabrae?

jackdangers

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

This looks like a suggestively shaped concretion to me. I don't see any evidence for bone.

Looks like it is coated with some sort of carbonate, probably calcite.

Hi again,

This was found in a nodule you say. Where about?

The second image is more suggestive of some sort of central element (i.e. from a spine or vertebra).

The second shot gives the impression of symmetry.

Can you take closer shots (if you have a macro function on your camera) with a brighter light.

I'm not seeing anything that is definitely bone yet.

Edited by Doctor Mud

I would for future posts just keep posting new images on the same thread so that they are all together.

This will make it easier for people to see everything in one go and have a better chance at iding your piece.

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

This looks like a suggestively shaped concretion to me. I don't see any evidence for bone.

Looks like it is coated with some sort of carbonate, probably calcite.

I wonder if it could be a partial ammonite piece ... its heavily calcified ... but it has the right shape I think.

These are from Texas, North Texas

dvFcUrU.jpg

etfJewB.jpg

EwtVNZT.jpg

Yeah, looking more at the images it definitely has all of the landmarks of a ammonite partial. I'm no expert but it might be a nice place for you to start for some visual research at least ....

Cheers,

Brett

Yeah, looking more at the images it definitely has all of the landmarks of a ammonite partial. I'm no expert but it might be a nice place for you to start for some visual research at least ....

Cheers,

Brett

I think you are onto something there Brett....

Yes, the second picture is of a septum where the ammonite section broke away from the rest. Flatter in the center, it is folded more as it nears the outer edges where it would form the sutures if present. Round whorl profile, prominent, widely space tubercles at the umbilical and ventral margins, low ventral keel...these may be diagnostic enough if we knew the formation it was found in.

Edited by BobWill

I fine a lot of septarian nodules in the Eagle Ford (Upper Britton Formation and Arcadia Park Formation). If that's the case, this is probably Metoicoceras sp. or a large Prionocyclus sp. IMHO