Sign in to follow this  
AFBoneGuy

An Outing For A Newbie

AFBoneGuy

Anyone in the Ogden, SLC, or thereabouts interested in taking a newbie (myself) out on one of their day trips so I can observe collection and techniques.

I know the season/weather is not the best now, but with a few days notice I'm free to travel.

Take Care,

DB

AFBoneGuy

I was surprised to see this posting of mine got 397 views without one comment. I'm kind of curious as to why that is, but I assume, after chatting to a couple of members on this forum, that the majority of fossil hobbyist don't like to share their locations with others? I hope this isn't the case, but would like to hear from others if I am off base or need to go at this hobby alone.

DB

Fossildude19

AFBoneguy,

Don't be discouraged. It could just be that there is no one on the forum local to you.

Fossil hunters can be prone to being a bit tight lipped about their local honey holes, if they had to work hard to find them.

Don't forget, ... this is an international forum, and many of the views may have just been curious as to the title you posted - seems more like a trip report, rather than a request. That's why I clicked on it, at least.

Being in Ogden, you are two and a half hours away from Delta, UT.(U-DIG) , ... with it's famous Trilobite localities,... and only 2 hours from Kemmerer, Wyoming,... the fossil fish capital of the world. (Warfield's, or any other fish quarry.)

A trip to either of those areas would put you in prime collecting areas, with some instruction on how to go about collecting, at the pay to dig sites. Not only that, you will end up with sweet fossils for the effort - not every outing is like that when you go out on your own.

The best way to get started in this hobby, though, ... is to join a local rock,fossil, mineral club. There, you can meet like minded people, go on organized field trips, and learn proper ethics and safety precautions, and collecting tools and techniques.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any further assistance. I would be happy to help get you started on researching fossil sites in your area.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

AFBoneGuy

Thanks Dude (Tim)! I have recently returned from a trip to the fish quarry in WY, an amazing first outing that has provided me with a number of samples that I can work with over the coming months. I would like however to visit a site that is not commercialized and through observation and hard work find "wild" fossils, especially leaves.

That is all I was actually asking for earlier is a person or small team to go out with and learn the ways to spot them, besides reading about it in a book.

Thanks again for your inputs and suggestions.

DB