Wheres Waldo

JimInAugusta

Here is a deliberately vague photo of a fossil hunting trip I recently took. Can you guess where I went? Hint: Its in a state adjoining Georgia in the USA. I will add an additional photo at random times until you guess the location. Its a well known location that a beginner like me would go visit.

89v7ec4.jpg

That last clue is VERY close to the site. Think hard guys. You who have been there would have been within arms reach of that bullet ridden sign.

Me standing in the river screening. I didnt get too many odd looks from the locals so this must be a common site.

6tf9kcj.jpg

Sounds too much like me covering my tracks!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Waldo in on US301 north of Gainesville.

Let's see, the last time I saw that bald eagle was in Brownsville, Hardee County, Florida. He was on the shoulder of US17 eating roadkill. I recognize that turtle, too -- a female Florida cooter. In the wintertime, they need the sun to warm up; they are reluctant sometimes to get back in the cold water. Every year, I see those stick insects on the stucco of my house here in Northcentral Florida.

My question is, What fossils did you find in the Peace River or did you stop in Gainesville?

(your images are so large, they load slowly.)

-------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Dang Jim you shoulda told us you were comin , Cris and I woulda met up with ya and done some fossiling together. So what did you find?

Correct and busted on all accounts. The reason I didnt tell anyone I was coming is I was visiting the inlaws at the Villages and wasnt sure when I would arrive at the river. Here is a shot of my son and I at the put in.

6ow309w.jpg

We only stayed two hours due to a lawful directive to be home early Christmas eve. We found echins or as we called them sand dollars, turtle carapace fragments and one tiny ammonite all in one hole. I wish we could have stayed longer.

BTW the eagle was eating road kill. I have only seen 7 eagles in the wild and was surprised to round a corner on 475 and see it feasting on possum.

Correct and busted on all accounts. The reason I didnt tell anyone I was coming is I was visiting the inlaws at the Villages and wasnt sure when I would arrive at the river. Here is a shot of my son and I at the put in.

We only stayed two hours due to a lawful directive to be home early Christmas eve. We found echins or as we called them sand dollars, turtle carapace fragments and one tiny ammonite all in one hole. I wish we could have stayed longer.

BTW the eagle was eating road kill. I have only seen 7 eagles in the wild and was surprised to round a corner on 475 and see it feasting on possum.

How about that! I live three houses off CR475. The "corner" can only be the turn onto CR466 or the dog-leg on the west side of I-75.

You still didn't say which river you visited, though G'ville would have been closer. Maybe you found a shallow spot on the Withlacoochee. I must advise you that you couldn't have found a "tiny ammonite" in either place, or anywhere in Florida for that matter. There are no Cretaceous exposures here. In the Westcentral part of the state, there is as much as 18,000 feet of later limestone overlying the Cretaceous rock.

Perfectly sized image, thanks!

---------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Sante Fe river by the Canoe Outpost. I will have to try and photograph what looks like an ammonite and post it but it is tiny and an impression so I dont think an image will be possible with my camera. Maybe a pass with the scanner will do.

Jim

I KNEW that was the Santa Fe...... If you're ever back to that part of the river, let us know.. That place is where my fossil collection started, and I know the river up from there well.

Well here is the mystery fossil. You gotta admit that it looks like a curled up something. Its at about the 8 o'clock position. If it is the first ammonite ever found in FL I want to name it navis rockheadis variety dudeas aka rock headed boat dude.

6yxraf8.jpg

Jim