Santonian Sponge-Field. Reconstruction.

Evgeny Kotelevsky

My recreation consist of 9 sponge species.

At my favorite site I've found about 70-80 sponge species

Wow! Amazing diversity

Any idea of the environmental conditions? Would this have been like a modern reef setting - warm, shallow water.

Do you find other fossils in these sediments? Microfossils, other invertebrates, even vertebrates?

Amazing preservation.

My recreation consist of 9 sponge species.

At my favorite site I've found about 70-80 sponge species

Are you aware of any fossil sponge fields like your site that have been described from the US? Your post has really peaked my interest in sponges and I would like to try to collect some in the US if that is possible.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Wow! Amazing diversity

Any idea of the environmental conditions? Would this have been like a modern reef setting - warm, shallow water.

Do you find other fossils in these sediments? Microfossils, other invertebrates, even vertebrates?

Amazing preservation.

I think it was an oceanic bay with warm shallow water. According to my findings, there lived bivalves, brachiopods, echinoids, rare corals and sharks.

Are you aware of any fossil sponge fields like your site that have been described from the US? Your post has really peaked my interest in sponges and I would like to try to collect some in the US if that is possible.

Marco Sr.

I know only few sponge fields:

1. Saratov (Upper Cretaceous)

2. Germany, near Hannover (Upper Cretaceous)

3. France (Upper Cretaceous)

4. Crimea (Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous)

5. Poland (Jurassic)

6. USA (Pennsylvanian)

7. India (Existence of this sponge field is not confirm)

About USA sponge field you should talk to Missourian (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/user/6808-missourian/)

He can help you

I know only few sponge fields:

1. Saratov (Upper Cretaceous)

2. Germany, near Hannover (Upper Cretaceous)

3. France (Upper Cretaceous)

4. Crimea (Jurassic and Lower Cretaceous)

5. Poland (Jurassic)

6. USA (Pennsylvanian)

7. India (Existence of this sponge field is not confirm)

About USA sponge field you should talk to Missourian (http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/user/6808-missourian/)

He can help you

Thank you for the information and contact.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 2 weeks later...

Archived