Fossil Camping

Trevor

Hey everyone, my question is whether or not I should camp or sleep out at a fossil site and just continue fossiling in the morning. I am always disappointed when leaving a site when it is too late, so my ideology is "why not just camp out". I would like to obtain other fossil hunters' knowledge from their own experiences. If a site does not allow camping or its illegal, I might find a camping ground in the area or just leave. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Trevor

: )

I like camping when collecting. I have two of my better megs from the cliffs due to camping. Not because I was anyplace special but on both occasions I wouldn't have been on the beach if I hadn't been camping. The first occasion I was in my tent at 9:30 at night looking at tide charts when I realized there was a nice low tide in an hour. I got out drove to the beach and found a meg just shy of 4". The second case involved me going down after work and collecting an hour or so before dark with the plan to just sleep in the boat and collect in the morning. Normally I would just go down in the morning since it's a two hour trip for me to get there. That evening when I walked the beach I found my best mag from the cliffs. Almost perfect and just shy of 5". I wouldn't have been on the beach at those times without camping being involved so yes I do like camping while collecting.

• I found this Informative 1

Hey, why waste time pitchin' a tent and all, just sleep in the car. For that matter, why sleep at all, just keep fossiling :P Seriously, I think that is a good idea for sites where camping is allowed and that are far from other accommodations. However, checking out of a hotel takes a lot less time than breaking camp for most people. Now, if you have a camper, that may be the best solution of all.

I camp out all the time, but then Wyoming is a different world than the east coast. Many of my fossil sites are an hour or more from a hotel and several hours from home. And it is a lot cheaper, And you can't hear the coyotes from in the hotel room.

Camping on-site (where allowed) was part of the adventure for me when I was younger; I even kept a go-bag at the ready.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Im with JP. I absolutely love to camp out at fossil sites. Been doing it for over 20 years now. its a heck of a lot cheaper than a hotel and having a baked tater and steak cooked over a fire cant be beat! Good luck.

RB

Put me down for camping as well. Especially this year with son coming for the first time ( as long as there's marshmallows and hot chocolate dad ).

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

One nice night at Westmoreland State Park, I was in my sleeping bag, on top of a picnic table, and was awakened by a raccoon walking on my chest...

Those were great times!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ya, I spread scraps of food over my sleeping bag just for that purpose. In fact, there's nothing more comforting than slipping into your sleeping bag and sharing the warmth with a nice rattlesnake or scorpion.

I pretty much always sleep in my truck when out in the field. I have a foam pad and being off the ground, I keep from getting condensation on my sleeping implements. Besides, you don't have to worry about how late you are out there if you get into a nice section of ground.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Sleeping in the car for me. That's the reason why I've a big car

+1

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."

• 4 weeks later...

I may be an outsider on this topic in some respects but hear me out. I've camped near my field sites out in Montana and Idaho and enjoyed it immensely. However, when I'm collecting for the fun of it, I find I tend to collect until I am completely worn out, covered in grime and sweat and greatly look forward to a shower, even if it is in a really dodgy yet inexpensive hotel.

I do try to mind how much water I'm taking in and make sure to eat something so I don't burn through all my electrolytes but when you are at a site that is just amazing all concerns seem to go straight to the back of the mind. Granted I've never let myself get into danger health wise but I usually have a nice little headache by the end of a long day. I've found that If I'm at a hotel I do a more thorough overall health assessment to prep myself for the next day. Since I never collect alone I find splitting a hotel cost relatively reasonable, especially if there's a hot breakfast included.

Of course, being from Wisconsin I've also collected in the Midwest while it was snowing or at times close to 10 degrees F. Cold... wet...eh no problem. Soggy humidity and 95 degrees...hit me up with a hotel.

Camping is the best way to go.... I think I have spent a full year sleeping in a tent over the past 50 or so years. Fossil hunting os fun, and camping makes it better.

I'll take camping over a crappy motel:

the white speck above the oil rig was our "Home on the Range" last year

CampPlesiosaur.jpg

camping as guests at Ulrich's:

IMG_9345.jpg

Halfway between camping and a 4 star hotel - a friends Yurt not far from Mazon Creek:

RiseShine.jpg

Camping is the best way to go.... I think I have spent a full year sleeping in a tent over the past 50 or so years. Fossil hunting os fun, and camping makes it better.

Agreed. :D

Canoe, tents, gear, and a mosasaur.

post-420-0-77609700-1422470505_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I've slept in my car, tent and hammock camped, and stealth camped. I love camping and fossil or mineral hunting. And occasionally I throw in some fishing. I'm planning on a road trip this spring, a long one, SE coast, VA, NC, SC, GA, FL and back North. I have never been in that area before. I'm going to camp most of it if I can.

One nice night at Westmoreland State Park, I was in my sleeping bag, on top of a picnic table, and was awakened by a raccoon walking on my chest...

Those were great times!

Quite an interesting experience uh? Lol

...I'm back.

I've been into camping for many years and more recently have combined tent camping and collecting. I'm definitely on a tight budget and tent camping is way cheaper than motels. Nothing beats a campfire at night. So far all my fossil collecting/camping experiences have involved state campgrounds. Fortunately there are state campgrounds in close proximity to a number of excellent fossil sites such as St. Clair, Big Brook, Pompey Center, and the Alden Pyrite Beds. These campgrounds also have facilities such as showers and bathrooms so the experience doesn't have to be a rough one. I may try camping at an actual site one day, with the permission of the owner of course, but that would be a more rustic experience I'm sure.

I never was aware that there were camping sites near Big Brook, I am going to look into that, thanks.

Also, my closest experience to camping near a collecting locality was on an 11 hour fossil hunt at Ramanessin, the longest to date. I swear my father just slept in his hammock for the entire time. We eventually left at around 9:30, my dad usually brings flashlights so I can hunt at night. A very different experience than hunting at day.

But after reading everyones' posts here I am confident enough to camp in the area, as previous stated probably at Big Brook when the snow clears.

Edited by Trevor

: )

20141101_124248_zps9d7dd111.jpg

This was our tent in Rocky Gap park in western MD back in late Nov, early Dec. Spots in WVA, western MD and St Clair were hit. Love camping and collecting when I can.

Cheesequake State Park is less than thirty minutes away from B.B., even closer to Ramanessin. Stayed there two summers ago which allowed us to get in a day and a half of stream collecting before heading home to Upstate NY.