Start The New Year With A Trip To Shark Tooth Hill

TNGray

I know you are probably tired of the Ernst Quarry posts but my three grandkids asked to go for their birthday present, all three have birthdays between 12/29 and 1/1.

It was a beautiful day albeit cold for these California natives! Here are a couple of the highlights.

My eldest grandson is nicknamed "Old Eagle Eye" for a reason...

20150103_teeth.jpg

He found the one on the left. I found the one on the right. C hastalis lower and upper I believe. The lower is truly stunning to hold. I shoveled it into his sieve and he snagged it right away. I tried to claim it but alas, our rule is first to establish possession is the keeper!

20150103_puffer.jpg

He found two of the nice ray plates and generously gave me one. I found the puffer plate but didn't know how nice it was until I got it home and washed it.

20150103_haul.jpg

This is our portion of the haul, my wife and I share. This is typical of a day of seiving at the Ernst Quarry. It is a "Pay to Play" site but you get a lot of nice fossils for your investment.

The kids get to keep whatever they find no matter how painful it might be for me! Everyone found at least 100+ teeth.

20150103_kids.jpg

My son and three grandkids at Sharktooth Hill, Bakersfield CA. January 3, 2015. Happy New Year!

Never assume anyone here is tired of nice photos of fossils from any locality on this forum. It's always especially great to see STH stuff. A lot of my fossil digging life has been spent in those quarries.

That's a nice puffer fish specimen - an uncommon find - and a ray tooth plate with four teeth together is quite rare particularly with that more colorful preservation. Nice.

The two makos are C. hastalis.

I know you are probably tired of the Ernst Quarry posts but my three grandkids asked to go for their birthday present, all three have birthdays between 12/29 and 1/1.

It was a beautiful day albeit cold for these California natives! Here are a couple of the highlights.

My eldest grandson is nicknamed "Old Eagle Eye" for a reason...

20150103_puffer.jpg

He found two of the nice ray plates and generously gave me one. I found the puffer plate but didn't know how nice it was until I got it home and washed it.

Jeez... the auto spell checker needs to be updated with paleo terms! "C hostels" .... LOL!! (now corrected)

I second that - I never get tired of drooling over the nice fossils found here. I really must go there some day......

Those large Makos are epic!

That bone on the top left of the group shot looks interesting.....also some neat looking (marine?) mammal teeth too (5 o'clock from the large bone on the top right corner). There are a couple of interesting small ones with perfect roots and brown crowns.

Any chance of some close ups of the bone and mammal teeth?

Great finds, I can't get over how many Makos you all find out there. If I find 5 in a day it's a lot!

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Pic for Doctor Mud. We usually find at least two or three marine mammal teeth. There are many bones which is why they call it the "bone bed" ! (paleo humor)

20150103_bones.jpg

Something seems to have happened to the pictures here.

Edit: looks fine now. Maybe I accidentally used Explorer rather than Chrome. I stopped using Explorer since I had so many troubles.

Pic for Doctor Mud. We usually find at least two or three marine mammal teeth. There are many bones which is why they call it the "bone bed" ! (paleo humor)

20150103_bones.jpg

Thanks for the pic. Those little teeth on the bottom right are gorgeous!

I wonder if they are pinniped (seal, sea-lion) or cetacen (whales etc.). If I was to guess I'd say pinniped.

The bones to the left look like cetacean periotic (earbones) and the top largest bone looks like the distal end of a rib.

Bobby (Boesse) would be able to help you out with these.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived