Book Reading ( Whats That I Hear You Say )

DE&i

I'm quite sure all members of the TFF have purchased a book in the past , present and perhaps in the future on topics relating to the geology and the fossils you hope to find in your part of the world.

So whose going to finish that book this year and complete the promise you made to yourself.

Tell us what your reading....i love a good book.

( I can just see you leaping to your bookcase now ).

Regards,

D&E

Regards.....D&E&i

The only certainty with fossil hunting is the uncertainty.

https://lnk.bio/Darren.Withers

Excellent choice....I've got the David Attenborough series, First Life (2010)on dvd Richard is travelling with David to the Atlas mountains to find and film trilobite fossils.

Its a must see.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

Science and Technology in World History, James E. McClellan III.

I chip away at reading as time permits (too infrequently for my liking!).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Roger....I can imagine its one of those " I'm sure I just read that sentence " scenarios. I've a few books like that.

Regards,

Darren.

Dog ears help... :P Funny, I can get through a 500-page Ken Follett novel in a week.

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Science and Technology in World History, James E. McClellan III.

I chip away at reading as time permits (too infrequently for my liking!).

Sounds very intriguing...I certainly know that lack of time feeling. But its a great feeling when you get your eyes refocused in on that elusive chapter don't you think.

Regards.....D&E&i

Dog ears help... :P Funny, I can get through a 500-page Ken Follett novel in a week.

Dog ears ha ha I like that. I look for my tell tale chocolate smudge from dunking my biscuits in endless cups of tea while I read.

Regards.....D&E&i

Mesozoic Birds: Above the Heads of Dinosaurs, Chiappe and Witmer 2002.

576 pages of scientific papers regarding your favorite feathered saurians. So dry, it has to be dunked in D&E's tea along with the biscuits!!!

Mesozoic Birds: Above the Heads of Dinosaurs, Chiappe and Witmer 2002.

576 pages of scientific papers regarding your favorite feathered saurians. So dry, it has to be dunked in D&E's tea along with the biscuits!!!

I drink Yorkshire tea double-strength im sure it will help dilute those mind numbing equations. Seriously though it does sound fascinating.

I'll send you some tea ( minus the biscuits ) there all mine ha ha.

Edited by DarrenElliot

Regards.....D&E&i

Some books that I have read in the past year:

Wonderful LifeThe Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryBy Gould, Stephen Jay

-----

The Crucible of Creation The Burgess Shale and the Rise of Animals
Conway Morris, S.

----

Wonderful Life The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History
Gould, Stephen Jay(Book - 1989)

----

A Sea Without Fish Life in the Ordovician Sea of the Cincinnati Region
Meyer, David L.(Book - 2009)

----

I needed these to help me create my Fossil Data-base. That is a major project, buy a program for $18.00 if you can.

Microsoft Office Access 2007 All-in-one Desk Reference for Dummies
(eBook - 2007)

----

The Unofficial Guide to Microsoft Office Access 2007
Keogh, James Edward(eBook - 2007)

Some books that I have read in the past year:

Wonderful LifeThe Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryBy Gould, Stephen Jay

-----

The Crucible of Creation

The Burgess Shale and the Rise of Animals

Conway Morris, S.

----

Wonderful Life

The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

Gould, Stephen Jay

(Book - 1989)

----

A Sea Without Fish

Life in the Ordovician Sea of the Cincinnati Region

Meyer, David L.

(Book - 2009)

----

I needed these to help me create my Fossil Data-base. That is a major project, buy a program for $18.00 if you can.

Microsoft Office Access 2007

All-in-one Desk Reference for Dummies

(eBook - 2007)

----

The Unofficial Guide to Microsoft Office Access 2007

Keogh, James Edward

(eBook - 2007)

That's some remarkable reading and I take my hat off to you. Are you taking a literature break or is there another project in the pipeline for this years reading.

Regards.....D&E&i

I'm currently rereading "The London Clay Fossils of Kent and Essex" by Fred Clouter David Rayner et al. and watching the weather forecast. There's never a good storm when you want one, I have my gear packed in a box ready to go as soon as we have had a bit of bad weather to stir things up a bit.

I'm currently rereading "The London Clay Fossils of Kent and Essex" by Fred Clouter David Rayner et al. and watching the weather forecast. There's never a good storm when you want one, I have my gear packed in a box ready to go as soon as we have had a bit of bad weather to stir things up a bit.

Now that sounds like a great plan and read. Not so long ago I purchased for 5 pence a handbook from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research Geological Survey Museum. Titled : British Regional Geology London And Thames Valley ( second edition ) by R.L. SHERLOCK, D.Sc., A.R.C.S. 1947 price 2s.6d. net.

And i must say it was a really interesting read , theres 14 handbooks on the Regional Geology of Great Britain published as second editions so far ive collected 10.

Regards.....D&E&i

I’m currently reading mainly for I.D. purposes the British Caenozoic Fossils (Tertiary and Quaternary) second edition published for the British Museum (Natural History) in 1963 price six shillings purchased by me for 10 pence.

My son is currently fascinated by the descriptive pictures in a book called Fossil Birds by W.E.Swinton senior fellow of Massey College, University of Toronto Third Edition published in 1975 for the British Museum (Natural History) purchased him for 10 pence.

Regards,

Darren.

Regards.....D&E&i

Not so long ago I purchased for 5 pence a handbook from the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research Geological Survey Museum. Titled : British Regional Geology London And Thames Valley ( second edition ) by R.L. SHERLOCK, D.Sc., A.R.C.S. 1947 price 2s.6d. net.

And i must say it was a really interesting read , theres 14 handbooks on the Regional Geology of Great Britain published as second editions so far ive collected 10.

I got this book to read over the festive season and concur that it is a very good publication.

I’m currently reading mainly for I.D. purposes the British Caenozoic Fossils (Tertiary and Quaternary) second edition published for the British Museum (Natural History) in 1963 price six shillings purchased by me for 10 pence.

I've got the ones on British Mesozoic and British Palaeozoic Fossils. I find they are very good general guides, not only for the British Isles.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Funny that you posted this thread.

I was just wondering if it would make sense to have a section for books and or book reviews by members on fossil related books.

Would there be any legal ramifications if anyone posted a negative review of a book?

I'm reading "Missing Links: In Search of Human Origins" by John Reader.

The first few chapters have an excellent overview of the development of our understanding on the age of the Earth and Fossils.

That's some remarkable reading and I take my hat off to you. Are you taking a literature break or is there another project in the pipeline for this years reading.

Funny that you posted this thread.

I was just wondering if it would make sense to have a section for books and or book reviews by members on fossil related books.

Would there be any legal ramifications if anyone posted a negative review of a book?

I'm reading "Missing Links: In Search of Human Origins" by John Reader.

The first few chapters have an excellent overview of the development of our understanding on the age of the Earth and Fossils.

RETIRED :D and lovin it.

My son is currently fascinated by the descriptive pictures in a book called Fossil Birds by W.E.Swinton senior fellow of Massey College, University of Toronto Third Edition published in 1975 for the British Museum (Natural History) purchased him for 10 pence.

Regards,

Darren.

I love discount books.

I like books with lots of pictures and "National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals" fits the bill!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

D&E,

I try to read a little everyday but sometimes go a few days in between. I get a good chunk of reading done when I fly on business. There are few things better than a good book to help pass the time on a 3-5 hour flight plus the time in airports. I keep my eyes open for good deals on books I either missed when they were new or were out of my budget when they were new.

Since about the middle of last year, I have read:

Sabertooth

by Mauricio Anton (Indiana University Press, 2013).

- a good book about more than just the sabertoothed cat on the front

The Monkey's Bridge: Mysteries of Evolution in Central America

by David Rains Wallace (Trinity University Press edition - originally published by Sierra Club Books, 1997)

- a book so good that I decided to re-read it this year

The Monkey's Voyage: How Improbable Journeys Shaped the History of Life

by Alan de Queiroz (Basic Books, 2014)

- a book that came out early last year with a similar title to the Wallace book but this one is mostly about biogeography while the Wallace book deals with the geologic and human history of Central America

The Accidental Collector: Art, Fossils, Friendships

by Wesley Wehr (University of Washington Press, 2004)

- a book by an artist who became a paleontologist though it is more about his observations of members of the art scene in the Seattle area during the last half of the 20th century

The Walking Whales: From Land to Water in Eight Million Years

by J.G.M . "Hans" Thewissen (University of California Press, 2014)

- great book about how much has been learned about Eocene whales especially the earliest forms over the past 20 years

At the moment I am re-reading "The Dinosaur Heresies: New Theories Unlocking the Mystery of the Dinosaurs and Their Extinction" by Robert T. Bakker (William Morrow and Company, Inc., 1986). I read it when it was new in bookstores. A mention by another member of the forum influenced me to take it off the shelf to remind myself why I liked it so much back then.

I plan to read "King of the Crocodylians: The Paleobiology of Deinosuchus" by David R. Schwimmer (Indiana University Press, 2002). I received it as a gift several years ago but am finally getting around to reading it - maybe even later this month.

Jess

I'm quite sure all members of the TFF have purchased a book in the past , present and perhaps in the future on topics relating to the geology and the fossils you hope to find in your part of the world.

So whose going to finish that book this year and complete the promise you made to yourself.

Tell us what your reading....i love a good book.

( I can just see you leaping to your bookcase now ).

Regards,

D&E

Yes, I liked that one too. I assume his other books are good reads too.

Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms, Richard Fortey.

Very entertaining, packed with information.

Yes, that is a must-have for anyone with a London Clay collection of any size. It's also a great reference for anyone who collects a lot of Eocene marine fossils on any continent.