Fossil Fish

RickNC

My in-laws purchased the fossil below as a gift for my birthday. They have no knowledge of fossils and told me they picked it up at a trade show. They did ask the vendor about the fossil but they knew nothing about it. I suspect it is either fake or touched up in some way. Something just doesn't look right about it and I have little to no knowledge of fossils like this. The area around the bones appears to be filled in with something. I do know the matrix does not look like Green River formation so maybe if it is real somebody can recognize the surrounding rock. The fish is 10 cm total length and the piece is about a centimeter thick at the thickest point. Thanks.

100_1606_zps2c8c4271.jpg

100_1607_zpsdc11d40b.jpg

100_1608_zpsb3538619.jpg

100_1609_zpsed745856.jpg

100_1610_zpsd6fde1d4.jpg

100_1611_zpsbd906d3f.jpg

If this landed on my desk I would call it Green River Fm. There is indeed a layer in the GRF that has very little presence in the commercial market that looks just like this. Fish impressions, no bone, often in concoidial fractures just like this. This one even looks like Knightia.

• I found this Informative 1

A Green River fish from the Farson / Fontanelle Reservoir locality certainly looks like a possibility.

It appears to be 100% authentic. Congrats on a great fossil fish!

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I too, believe it is "real." That is, an actual fossil. It is an imprint. I have a Green River Knightia that looks very much like your piece. Enjoy.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Interesting. The Green River stuff I have seen looks much lighter in color so I figured this had to be from somewhere else. I thought the raised whitish material on the fish looked odd.

Thank you for the replies.

Edited by RickNC

That is a very cool fossil thanks for posting it.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

See. There you all go again. I was thinking something looked wrong, that a fish probably wouldn't be found in a conchoidal fracture and then you all taught me something new. The more I learn the more I don't know. Thanks for posting that terrific fish and thanks for the educational answers.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.