Microvertebrate Remains From Coniacian-Santonian Of Lonzée

Astera

Hi

Since I came to study in Gembloux, I wanted to know what kind of fossil I could find in the area. After a lot of book research, I discovered that a late cretaceous deposit is present about 5km from where I live: "La glauconie de Lonzée", coniacian/santonian.

Of course it was harder to find it on the field...I only manage to find few blocks on a stack near a construction site.

A few things came out of them: a very worn and small shark tooth, a piece of a belemnite, a fragment of a radiole.... and these remains, fish, I guess.

Beside the round tooth, it's difficult to identify what they are (I don't even think about naming species)

Here we go! I know the pix are not very good but I wanna share these finds with you guys ;)

Edit: The scale is in millimeter so the lengh of the paper is 5mm

Astera

post-16372-0-37343900-1421075421_thumb.jpg

post-16372-0-67925300-1421075427_thumb.jpg

post-16372-0-35771100-1421075432_thumb.jpg

Edited by Astera

Fish fragments, scale, jaw, not sure and ribs. And of course the tooth. I can't work out the species, too fragmented for me.

Thanks a lot Toagan :)

After (re)looking at the pictures, I suspect the right fragment from the 4th and 5th pix to be a tooth. I made some more pictures of it, what do you think?

Astera

post-16372-0-07789700-1421432220_thumb.jpg

post-16372-0-06233300-1421432224_thumb.jpg

post-16372-0-86218400-1421432229_thumb.jpg

The longitudinal striations in the middle picture make it look a little like a hybodont shark fin spine. From a quick google search it appears that 'Hybodus' can be found in these deposits.

Edited by quagga

• 1 month later...

Hello Astera.

Nice first finds….

These teeth comes from Lonzee. ( "Polyacrodus" brabanticus ). Maybe "Hybodus" because Polyacrodus is no more à valid name. I live in Gembloux and maybe I can help you.

-Contacte moi MP.

Phil

Edited by JohnJ
removed broken photo links

Ouah, grandblanc. Vos photos sont superbes. How do you take such excellent photos of such small fossils? Photostacking?

Edited by jpc

The oval tooth in post #3 looks to be from an Anomoedus phaseolus.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Ouah, grandblanc. Vos photos sont superbes. How do you take such excellent photos of such small fossils? Photostacking?

Thanks jpc for your comment. Yes, photostacking, and to gain magnification, I use stacked lenses.

But these teeth are not so small, have a look at this little Paleocene beauty from Belgium. ( Sorry Astera for this Cenozoic pollution in your topic :wub: )

775060SelHemiscylliumnew.jpg

( Sorry Astera for this Cenozoic pollution in your topic :wub: )

Such a beauty make me forgive anything ^_^

The oval tooth in post #3 looks to be from an Anomoedus phaseolus.

Thanks Squali. May I ask on what you relied on to identify the specie?

Basically the size and shape of the tooth. The Cretaceous age is the same here in New Jersey where I have found a jaw plate with 7 teeth and many other isolated 'bean' teeth. It may be more appropriate to call it a Pycnodonte if you like.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.