Differences In Winter/ Summer Beach Hunting-Outside Of The Temp?

Salty

Hello all! I have another question. I realize the weather is obviously different in the winter, wind, etc. But I have noticed a difference in my shark tooth hunting. It SEEMS like there are not as many teeth as in the summer. Is this possibly due to the difference in the currents? Or perhaps the amount of churning under the breaker areas bringing results ( as in teeth and bones) to the shore? I was reading a book that talked about seasonal changes of surf, swash, etc-does anyone have any comments or can add to this? I hunt the southern Grand Strand area of SC, and am a newbie, so any helpful suggestions are welcome! I seem to have the best luck hunting the wave edges during high to mid-tide. Low tide I don't seem to find anything during this winter season. :( Thanks!

I think one of the main reasons you can find less in the winter is because the ground is really hard. About the currents, I am no expert. I found my first shark teeth in winter at Casperson beach. Of course there were still a lot of people there but I doubt the traffic is nearly as bad in summer. My main concern while searching in winter is if you get in the water like I did. Most of my finds were in the water and included 20+ ray plates. I prefer winter for beach combing but summer for diving because I was sick for weeks because of how cold the water was. What stuff do you usually find?

Edited by TyrannosaurusRex

It's all about surf, wash, and swash.

The Mid Atlantic coast gets more of the above in the winter, and averages more sand going than coming too.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Well here in England winter is definitely the most productive time of year to find fossils simply because winter = more storms which means the cliffs (which are often soft clay) have been eroded, the foreshore disturbed by waves and many new fossils exposed. Long periods of no stormy weather means not much fresh material gets exposed, unless of course there is a landslide or part of the fossiliferous cliff collapses which can happen any time of year.

For the shark teeth particularly you are talking about, i think the teeth in that area come from fossiliferous beds out to sea and are washed ashore? I could be wrong but if that's the case then yes as Auspex says, winter still means (generally) more disturbed conditions which would make things more productive on the beach. Though over in SC you've got rivers that produce great Meg teeth too which could be less season influenced? Provided the water height doesn't change drastically.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas