Austin Texas Area Trilobite Find

cds7189

I have been on 3 field trips where " relocated" fossils have been found. 1. A Phacops found along the AAA Hwy in Kentucky (Devonian in Ordovician) 2. An obvious Penn Dixie Phacops found in St Paul, Indiana ( Devonian in Silurian) and 3. Cretaceous in Sulfur, Indiana ( Cretaceous in Mississippian). It does happen, maybe more than we think.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It's so good that this site exist so that people like me can learn/understand the world of paleontology/geology. I have a decent collection and don't have a clue what even 1/2 are.

• 3 years later...

I'm reading some stuff about Marble Falls area right now and there are Ordovician age rocks exposed on the N side of town, maybe 30 miles west of Round Rock as the crow flies. I'm not sure why that would be completely out of the realm of possibility to find a good trilobite in Round Rock like some of the members were saying. Apparently they think the fossil was a Moroccan trilobite seeded in the creek, but swear convincingly you dug it out of hard rock. I don't know what trilobites might be possible in the area. Things that make you go Hmmmmmmm.

BTW Mr. cds7189, I have a red Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X and I'm not afraid to use it. LOL And could you tell me where along Brushy Creek is a good spot for fossil hunting? Anywhere in Round Rock?? I like any fossils, but of course a nice trilobite would be freaking awesome to find.

Oh and here's one for you: Here's an easy pickings fossil spot. I am back on a job in the vicinity on a drilling rig near Cameron TX and found a treasure spot in the middle of Belton, Tx last weekend. Bug flew in my eye and couldn't get it all out. Had to go to a walk in clinic in Belton last Sunday.There's the cutest little park with built in chutes for the kids to tube (or me!!!). Nolan Creek gravel bars right across from The Gin restaurant has thousands of the attached-photo fossils. I loaded up my pockets and my cowboy hat. I was lucky enough to find 5 with the top flatter part of the shell intact. Did some googling. Thought maybe it was Exogyra arietina, but now think they are a type of Texigrypaea maybe navia or marcoui.

Thank you, Pamela

Texigryphaea 1.jpg

Texigryphaea 2.jpg

Nolan Creek Belton Tx 1.jpg

Nolan Creek Belton Tx 2.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Pamela.

It's been a few years since this thread saw the light of day....  Still, a basic understanding of the local geology and the changes that occur in the age of the rocks between Round Rock, TX and the Marble Falls area is what it took to solve this unusual find.  I've seen the location of this find and the local rocks can "silt" all kinds of stream scattered debris into crevices that will bake hard in our Texas heat.  The member that posted this find came to understand the same conclusion.  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I was reading this thread very thoroughly and did not realize it was 3 years old!
This is very interesting.

Archived