Any Chance Of Meg Teeth In Jax / St. Augustine?

Kylol

Hi,

I live 20 miles south of Jacksonville, so it's about a 50 minute drive to any beach between St. Augustine and JAX.

Has anyone had experience finding larger teeth on these beaches? Sepcifically Meg teeth. I've been researching this for days, however, I've reached the conclusion that not many people hunt specifically for Meg teeth ( presumably becuase the chance of finding one is extremely unlikely ).

Can someone educate me on why there are so many Meg teeth in Venice / Peace River / Gainesville, but not much action near JAX / St. Augustine? I've always been addicted to finding shark teeth at the beach but after reading so much about Meg teeth, I really want to start finding some for myself. Driving down south seems scary because I don't know my way around ( Or specific spots ) but I may be resorting to that soon. Thank you in advance.

I have been hunting for Megs for the last few years. Also as a kid I went regularly to Gainesville to hunt fossils. Megs, specifically bigger megs that are intact, are RARE. But, they are still out there. And there are lots of other sizable teeth to find. Don't get discouraged, embrace the adventurer spirit and hit it hard!

• I found this Informative 1

Has anyone had experience finding larger teeth on these beaches? Specifically Meg teeth. I've been researching this for days, however, I've reached the conclusion that not many people hunt specifically for Meg teeth ( presumably because the chance of finding one is extremely unlikely ).

>>> The chance of finding a Meg is likely very small.. However you are looking for larger teeth -- How about a Mako or a Great White?

post-2220-0-07304000-1421801105_thumb.png

Can someone educate me on why there are so many Meg teeth in Venice / Peace River / Gainesville, but not much action near JAX / St. Augustine?

The story goes that back in the day when most of the Florida we know was covered by 50 to 150 feet of sea water, there was a massive river delta that flowed from the center of the continent and dumped phosphates into bone valley, below and between present day Tampa and Orlando. The sea was shallow, almost a nursery for whales, dudong, sharks, etc. Just as Great Whites congregate around penguin and seal nurseries today, Megs did the same back 2 mya and dropped their teeth in massive numbers --

We find Meg fossil teeth where Megalodon used to congregate. For whatever reason they did not congregate over Jax.

• I found this Informative 2

Hello and thank you for your concise reply ShellSeeker! I suppose I've been so focused on Meg teeth that I've forgotten the other treasures I should be hunting for.

Brown Bear gave me some great information via PM, and I've checked out some books to educate myself. I've also found many areas including the one in your picture to hunt at in the future! ( Quarantine Island? )

Great little history lesson about the area.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
gimmietheteeth

I agree that megs didn't congregate over Jax but. That doesn't explain how I can find so many of them in dredge piles. I find more whole Meg teeth in Jax than I do anywhere, probably because I live here and search here more than anywhere else but. I know for a fact that there are plenty of megs to go around you just have to know where to look. That said I would have a hard time giving up my spots. All I can say is get a kayak or a boat and look on the banks in jax. Spoil piles are your friend!

I am glad to hear about Jax Megs. It is an occasional question on the forum. I am curious about color combinations -- Most of the ones I find in the Peace are dark; black with brown root like this one http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/44520-feb28th-high-quality-meg/ or black on black like this:

post-2220-0-49833000-1422890888_thumb.jpg

What are your most common color patterns?

gimmietheteeth

I can't get any pics to load from my phone. I can say they are really different looking lighter grey with an iridescent look. Dark hits but the blades are almost metalic looking. My brother found the biggest one we have ever found on Sunday plus my huge mako and whites it was a good weekend in jax.

I can't get any pics to load from my phone. I can say they are really different looking lighter grey with an iridescent look. Dark hits but the blades are almost metalic looking. My brother found the biggest one we have ever found on Sunday plus my huge mako and whites it was a good weekend in jax.

I need to hit the Jax spots harder. I'm always tempted to go to Gainesville or the Peace River because I already have spots there but in Jax, my own home-town, I know there is stuff to be found.

More than you know.

Let me know if you ever want to team up for a local hunt. I've got a canoe, kayak and plenty of gear for digging and sifting.

gimmietheteeth

No offense brown bear. I am a fisherman first and a fossil collector second. I don't give up my numbers on the water or on land. That's what keeps me catching and finding.

No offense brown bear. I am a fisherman first and a fossil collector second. I don't give up my numbers on the water or on land. That's what keeps me catching and finding.

None taken. We've all got our secret reefs and honey holes.

• 4 months later...

Tons of meg teeth come from the st johns river

I found about half of one today near a dredge on my kayak.

How do I post a pic?

I found about half of one today near a dredge on my kayak.

How do I post a pic?

Review these tutorials, and just follow the steps

LINK1

LINK2

Thanks!

Made it back out to the river today with my 2yo son and found about 100 teeth while chasing him down the beach lol.

One nice great white I think and the rest were pretty average.

I'll post some pics from my PC Monday

The half I found the other day.

post-18566-0-99021000-1433893218_thumb.jpg

an afternoon of hunting on the river

post-18566-0-68999100-1433893245_thumb.jpg

My best tooth so far

post-18566-0-51208300-1433893294_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's a beautiful Great White you found! Congrats: )

Shellseeker

Love those serrations -- Nice find.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
MellyMel87
On 1/21/2015 at 8:33 AM, Kylol said:

Hello and thank you for your concise reply ShellSeeker! I suppose I've been so focused on Meg teeth that I've forgotten the other treasures I should be hunting for.

Brown Bear gave me some great information via PM, and I've checked out some books to educate myself. I've also found many areas including the one in your picture to hunt at in the future! ( Quarantine Island? )

Great little history lesson about the area.

Thanks.

Hey I know this post is old! But I've been so curious about Quarantine Island and been doing lots of research..never found out this history, or why the name..did you ever end up going there and finding anything??

• 2 months later...
scampbell1981

Anyone in Orange Park or Jax interested in going looking for teeth one of these days?  I'm new to the hobby, taken on interest to it mostly due to my son's fascination with collecting shark teeth at Micklers.  Haven't found any large teeth, mostly the small black one's you can find along the shell beds.

• 7 months later...