Recommendations On A Head-Worn Magnifier

jpwhite82

Hey everyone, I am looking to buy a head-worn magnifier for sorting through micro-fossil material and I was wondering if y'all could give me some recommendations as far as what brand I should go with and what magnification level. Thanks in advance!

Justin

OptiVISOR is a quality product that I use at home and in the field. The 2X will keep you from breathing in your fossils. :D

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

OptiVISOR is a quality product that I use at home and in the field. The 2X will keep you from breathing in your fossils. :D

He's trying to make sure you leave the neat stuff for him. JohnJ uses a 4X in the field and finds more stuff than me (I have a 3X) and it p****s me off! But seriously the Optivisors are a quality brand and worth the money. I bought a much cheaper Harbor Freight version that is in pieces on my workbench already. Also, you can buy other lenses to upgrade as you go for the Optivisor.

What I like is that I can wear them over my eyeglasses so I don't have to switch back and forth.

And after you have used them the first time be careful standing back up as you may swoon and fall over.

And don't forget the knee pads!

• I found this Informative 2

I got the Optivisor a couple of years ago with a 4 lens pack .

The lenses are glass with decent clarity.

You can easily use a loupe with the lens for extra magnification.

I think it's great, but the dog thinks I'm Goofy. :D

• I found this Informative 1

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I just ordered my Donegan OptiVISOR LX from Amazon,

and I'm looking forward to getting the chance to really sift through my matrix.

• 7 years later...

I am planning to get a magnifying visor with high-quality optics. I found this old post in which Optivisor seemed to be the consensus choice. Has anything with better optics come along since this discussion ended in 2015, or is Optivisor still the best?

Thanks.

I have had mine for years of field use and 'lab' work.  :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ