Add A Machete To Your Belt!

Bev

post-9628-0-66622100-1421512176_thumb.jpg

Here is my fossil hunting hammer belt that I added the machete too.

post-9628-0-06746700-1421512219_thumb.jpg

Here is the $4.99 machete I picked up at Harbor Freight. It is inexpensive, yet very effective on so many of the "nastys" we encounter out fossil hunting - burning nettle, buck thorn, blackberry vines, wild parsnip, snakes, spiders and it could be used as a defensive weapon to fend off that overly zealous trilobite hunter that reaches into your spot to whisk away the treasure of the day.

It has saw capabilities, will slash brush and weeds, you can pry small rocks with it and scoop out those 450 million year old mud layers between the shales. It will also flick a spider sitting on a tantalizing fossilized rock to the side and gentle move a cold snake sunning itself on the rock you want to investigate out of the way.

It comes with a scabbard for safety, but I slit that on top a bit for easy withdrawal of the tool.

All in all, an excellent $4.99 investment for field work. Of course, you may look like some kind of maniac murderer to passersbys with two hammers and a machete hanging off you... :-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Can it also double as a flyswatter or keep wild pigs at bay?

:hearty-laugh: A flyswatter no, but if you whack a pig and draw blood the others will tear it apart as opposed to you. :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I wouldn't be surprised if you got arrested carrying that around here. :P

Have a friend that lives in Kent and I think he would agree.

Bummer but hey the law. :)

Jeff

Jeff

Can it also double as a flyswatter or keep wild pigs at bay?

They do sell an electronic Flyswatter also.

Jeff

Jeff

I used to have one, but over here they keep changing the law about what counts as a weapon so I stopped carrying it. I'm only allowed a blade that long if I'm in medieval costume, so I can't carry it when I'm collecting, only when I'm working as a musician.

I've been thinking machete also for the late season dried up, face high weeds full of spiders. I thought a machete is what I need for this junk and I have seen them at Harbor freight or almost nothing. I will have one.

The fossil ninja :ninja:

Edited by ZiggieCie

Honestly, the machete with a saw blade (on top on mine) is really handy. This whole county only has 18,000 souls, so violence is not a really big issue here. Back West (Montana) it is not uncommon to see some person on main street carrying a rifle over their shoulder - don't know how that would go over in civilized MinnesOta. :-)

It's a tool.

And I would take a .38 revolver into the field before I took a 9mm just so I could "police" the cartridges - spent too much time in Montana... :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

...And I would take a .38 revolver into the field before I took a 9mm just so I could "police" the cartridges - spent too much time in Montana... :-D

I have a nice single action 'wheel gun' in 9mm parabellum; it's my favorite! Flat trajectory & no littering.

If I need more horsepower, I put the .357 cylinder in it. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I have a nice single action 'wheel gun' in 9mm parabellum; it's my favorite! Flat trajectory & no littering.

If I need more horsepower, I put the .357 cylinder in it. ;)

There you go - no littering! LOL!!! :D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I love my machete's and have used them to cut some miles in my youth.

cut with caution. look up there are bees nests above.

springy wood or poor placed hacks can cause branch lash.

using a stick with a wye shaped end in the other hand can help tension the branch you are cutting.

cutting poison anything isn't fun cause they are usually sappy.

Feel the Power :D

Yes that is one of my favorite Beatles albums :P

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

They use cheap Wally World machetes that have had the edge ground flat, and the tip ground square, to pry apart the shale layers at Ulrich's Fossil Fish Quarry in Wyoming. A long, thin chisel of sorts.