Calvart Cliffs On The Wednesday After It Snowed.

putt510

This is the trip report from when I went to calvert cliffs on the wednesday after it snowed. That was a cold day, but quite productive. Once again, I had to leave very early to make that I was the first one, but not for very long. Her are the teeth finds of that day.

post-13165-0-17422500-1421612943_thumb.jpg

post-13165-0-56814200-1421612946_thumb.jpg

post-13165-0-35988200-1421612949_thumb.jpg

If you call this "quite productive" I want to see what you call really productive! Those are incredible!

Thanks folks. I think that the reason that I do so good there is because, a lot of the people that I see there are just teeth collectors. They dont seem to care about the bones there, because people have gone ahead of me and they somehow miss big bone fragments or verts that are right in the open. They just seem to want the shark teeth and shark verts. Even though there are so many more great fossils to be found there.

Here is the fourth set of my photos.

Does anyone have an idea of what this bone came from. I am having trouble id'ing it.

Here is the last of the photos. I think that it may be the carapace of a turtle shell, but I could be wrong.

post-13165-0-37122000-1421631100_thumb.jpg

post-13165-0-23882300-1421631103_thumb.jpg

Sorry, can't help with the ID's but nice finds nonetheless! Congrats! :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice haul.

I believe the bone in the first two photos in post#11 is a cetacean humerus. Here is what a complete one looks like. I'm sorry I don't have a photo showing the end view.

post-281-0-23869800-1421632645_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nice haul.

I believe the bone in the first two photos in post#11 is a cetacean humerus. Here is what a complete one looks like. I'm sorry I don't have a photo showing the end view.

attachicon.gifHumerus BB.jpg

Ok thanks obsessed1. Do you have a clue if it is from a dolphin or a whale?

I think it would most likely be too small for a whale. Maybe Bobby will check in and share more information.

Thanks folks. I think that the reason that I do so good there is because, a lot of the people that I see there are just teeth collectors. They dont seem to care about the bones there, because people have gone ahead of me and they somehow miss big bone fragments or verts that are right in the open. They just seem to want the shark teeth and shark verts. Even though there are so many more great fossils to be found there.

Hi Putt, I agree and I'm guilty of not picking bones, in fact some times I pick, clean and set them in a visible or higher place for others to pick up, I have a bunch or verts and my love is with teeth, so nowadays has to be of superquality, which is rare, reason being is my wife doesnt want more bones and one of these days she will kick me and the verts out the window, so yes I am bador maybe a wimp :) . Good job and great haul. MK

Hi Putt, I agree and I'm guilty of not picking bones, in fact some times I pick, clean and set them in a visible or higher place for others to pick up, I have a bunch or verts and my love is with teeth, so nowadays has to be of superquality, which is rare, reason being is my wife doesnt want more bones and one of these days she will kick me and the verts out the window, so yes I am bador maybe a wimp :) . Good job and great haul. MK

I know what you mean with the wife and larger fossils taking up more space. I will be likely trying to be more selective with which bone pieces or fragments that I take back. I would like to be finding more complete pieces of bone so I stand a better chance of identifying them. Being up in new jersey, I would really like to find fossils in fallen chucks of material , so I can work on them at home, when I am not able to get out to brownies, due to the costs of gas. I am planning on going down sometime within the next two weeks; I just need to check on the weather and tides to decide which day seems like the best. Have to make each trip count, since it costs almost a full tank of gas to get there, and I now have to wake up real early to make sure that I get there first.

What do you guys wear in cold weather? I got to Brownies in October and it was warm enough to wade in Crocs. I'm guessing you're not in Crocs in January. Hip boots? Chest waders? I saw some people coming out in chest waders.

What do you guys wear in cold weather? I got to Brownies in October and it was warm enough to wade in Crocs. I'm guessing you're not in Crocs in January. Hip boots? Chest waders? I saw some people coming out in chest waders.

Well, I can tell you that you would only wear crocs in winter if you want to go numb, lol. In winter, you would want hip boots or chest waders, either work fine. If your feet get cold fast, make sure that the waders are insulated and that they don't leak.